Trying to ID heavy hand-made sterling cuff w/ chased or overlay design

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out who/what group made this heavy silver cuff which tests as sterling. I had presented it to the group before as possiby Hopi but got a few other ideas and a request for more pics. I couldn't figure out how to reply to my original post and add images so I had to start anew.

The designs are crisply outlined and I felt the center panel had bird head motifs.No marks, smooth inside but you can see "shadows" of the rounded forms which appear on the face.

Sure would appreciate any input, in fact, "Any Jewelry" did have some thoughts and was hoping to see more pics.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Curioser

Very intriguing! One cuff you linked to is signed, the other does not state. I'll look into the work of the Bils and see if it seems to be theirs. Thanks so much!

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Curioser

Thanks for finding the thread. I had located it a few days ago but couldn't find the normal link to upload a file so I gave up and restarted today.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

Have you decided if you will clean it? Maybe you will find marks.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. i need help

Just so you know for the future, you would upload photos in the chain, as you would post a comment, in the next box in the thread. But, so not a big deal. I just added it here, so everyone can reference previous comments. :)

9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Just to clarify, I was not presuming it to be the actual work of one the the Bill family members, but thought they offered excellent examples of the style of your piece.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No maker's mark doesn't help to identify.Could have been made by a 1960'70's snowbird at any number of locations in the SW.Student/hobbyist,etc., hobbyist copied/reproduced many pieces featured in Arizona Highways magazine in the 70/80's

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the extra photos, Tracy. I agree with you, it looks to have age. But it is still a beautiful mystery to me.
    Given the combination of a pre-Columbian theme with an older bracelet, it is closer to Hopi overlay, as Tracy thought before. Older Navajo overlay is more those abstract geometric patterns, like the nice pieces in your links, so different. But, as I mentioned in the first thread, I don't see the texture of the lower layer I expect to see on Hopi overlay.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted