Trying to identify this soldier painting (WWI?)

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Jason2424, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Scratch that, wife texted it to me! I have contacted the VFW and church there looking for abdirectory to get a picture of him and confirm our suspicion the photo/painting is indeed Joseph.

upload_2020-1-20_10-38-20.jpeg

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Ezra Dayton WINTERMUTE, son of Abraham WINTERMUTE and Mary OSBORN , was born 13 March 1838 in 2 miles SE of Sparta, Sussex County, NJ. He married Sarah Millie STEVENS 29 September 1868. He died 06 March 1917 in Dayton County, Ohio. Sarah Millie STEVENS was born 11 March 1846 in Delaware County, Ohio.

Children of Ezra Dayton WINTERMUTE and Sarah Millie STEVENS are:
    1. Amzi Grant WINTERMUTE, b. 15 April 1873 See Amzi Grant WINTERMUTE & Phebe C. FISHER
    2. Dayton Abraham WINTERMUTE, b. 21 July 1880 See Dayton Abraham WINTERMUTE & Mary E. (?)
    3. Joseph Lewzerne WINTERMUTE, b. 01 May 1876 See Joseph Lewzerne WINTERMUTE & Ella STURDEVANT
    4. Mary Emma WINTERMUTE, b. 24 November 1869 See John Stanley MCWILLIAMS & Mary Emma WINTERMUTE
    5. Melvin Ira WINTERMUTE, b. 13 August 1883 See Melvin Ira WINTERMUTE & Fannie O. WILCOX
    6. Minnie Orpha WINTERMUTE, b. 21 April 1886
    7. Rosanna WINTERMUTE, b. 16 July 1871
    8. Thomas Henry WINTERMUTE, b. 08 February 1878

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Jason2424 likes this.
  3. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Thanks for looking, but those dates are not right. From what we know he has no children. And lived in Galion, Ohio is his later years, Southeast Ohio (near WV border, hense the artist in WV) in his early years.

4. necollectors

Figtree3 and Jason2424 like this.
  5. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

That’s him! Thanks!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. necollectors

Joseph Lewzerne WINTERMUTE, son of Ezra Dayton WINTERMUTE and Sarah Millie STEVENS , was born 01 May 1876 in Roseville, New Jersey. He died 16 April 1970 in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Ella STURDEVANT was born abt. 1871 in Illinois.

Notes for Joseph Lewzerne WINTERMUTE:

• Birth: 01 May 1876 in Roseville, New Jersey.
    • Death: 16 April 1970 in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

--Other Fields
    Residence: Jan. 1899 went to the Phillipines with the Army.Still in Philippines in 1900.

1930 Ohio Census has Joseph with a grandson James E, Age 11. Joseph was married at age 36 but was not found in 1920 census

Sources for Joseph Lewzerne WINTERMUTE:

1. Social Security Death Index, US
    2. Ohio Deaths, 1908-19321938-19441958-2002

Jason2424 likes this.
  8. necollectors

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

familysearch.org

Lots of free genealogical records. And just a (general) caveat about family trees like that above. Oftentimes sloppy research gets cut, pasted and repeated so often that it becomes fact. It's always a good idea to go back to primary resources when doing family genealogy.

Debora

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

People sure had funky middle names back then, not like today with names like Moonbeam and Treefrog which are very normal.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and Jason2424 like this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Nice info but what’s still missing is anything about why he’s pictured in uniform of an Army captain. Everything I’ve read above suggests he served as an enlisted man. Anybody help me here?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Did they not do field promotions from enlisted to officer? I know they did in WWII.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If that had happened it should be reflected on the card pictured above, and I’d expect it to be mentioned somewhere in his bio. It really looks to me like the picture is of a different person. There’s a D insignia on his collar, certainly a unit insignia, but I’ll have to check around to interpret it. But neither of the infantry units mentioned on the card even have a D in the unit. This is certainly a mystery to me, all the documentation hangs together pretty well, but the picture seems totally disconnected.

Figtree3, Jason2424 and i need help like this.
  14. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Interesting. The linage and reason my grandfather would have that picture fits perfectly as well. I’ll post when/if we get a picture of Joseph Wintermute.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe try to research records in N.J.?

Christmasjoy and Jason2424 like this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

A lot of middle names were last names of the mother or other family last names. My husband's middle name is Richards with an s at the end because it was his g-g-g-grandfather's last name.

17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I see. I guess that's why my granny's brother's uncles cousin had a series of middle names like this?

"Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel"

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes! FYI to the original poster, solar enlargements were also known as crayon portraits and were painted or colored over a faint photographic image. They didn't usually use the items that we call crayons:
    http://sgarwood.com/node/52

Jason2424, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted