trying to learn more about this teacup

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bri Diederichsen, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Bri Diederichsen

Bri Diederichsen New Member

hi all! this is my first post. I have been casually collecting teacups for a few years now but haven't really dug too deep into them (most of the ones I ended up with weren't actually vintage or antique, except for one civil war era teacup i got lucky with) but I picked this one up today and if i'm correct then it's from 1930-1956 (the time frame in which the manufacturer used the mark on the bottom) but I am lost on how i can learn more about the teacup; the set it comes from, if it's worth anything, etc.
    It's just curiosity over wanting to sell it or anything.
    thank you!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Bri! The numbers in red on the underside are usually the pattern or design number. Some makers only used the number and did not name the pattern, not sure if that's the case here, but it's a good thing to know.

Seeing the exact numbers are a bit difficult for me on the thumbnail size attachments. You can change them to Full Image by using Edit>Other Options and clicking the Full Image box next to each picture and unclicking the Thumbnail one. Remember to Save Changes before you're done.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Bri !!! ... Joy. :)

judy and i need help like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. So you drink a lot of tea or have tea parties?

judy and i need help like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I believe Bri said that she collects them .. Joy. :)

judy, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like it -- but don't know how to find out about the pattern. Welcome to Antiquers, @Bri Diederichsen !

Staffordshire teacup.jpg
    Here's the top:

Staffordshire teacup top.jpg

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Bri - it's possible that this cup was not part of a full dinnerware set. Sometimes only tea or dessert sets were produced. When I get a cup like this I usually search Replacements.com. It takes awhile to scroll through the pictures and frequently I don't find out much info but there isn't really the best option. Searching ebay might help too. Enter the manufacturer's name and teacup to see what comes up. You could just search by manufacturers name but that would likely turn up many hundred of matches.

I agree with your time frame. It's a lovely cup - I like the butterflies. Value is not great. Here in the US it would go for about $15 assuming you have the saucer. The cup alone is not really worth selling. Usually I donate single cups in unknown patterns to Goodwill but I don't collect. Hope this helps.
    Don

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Bri!

Welcome to Antiquers!

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The pattern is whatever is written in red.

Draft saved Draft deleted