Featured Trying to Make a 3 Tier Tidbit Tray

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Aug 9, 2021.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi all! We are getting a new roof today and it is unbelievably noisy and it shakes the house quite a bit. Right now, they have a huge crane in the driveway dropping off loads of shingles onto the roof. Then a guy picks some up and drops them from his shoulder directly to the roof (BANG!!). So I'm trying to distract myself.

I have some left over plates from a dish set that I sold recently and I want to make a 3 tiered server or two to sell on line. I can get the metal center parts on eb, but I was wondering about drilling the holes in the china. Has anyone done this? DH wants to know what type of drill bit to use and any other tips for drilling without cracking the plates. Any comments or suggestions very appreciated.

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I use a diamond hole saw - have a few sizes, but have used the 1/2" at least a hundred times on everything from fine porcelain to 1/4" thick pottery with only the occasional light chipping on the edge. Start at an angle gradually moving it down to flat against the surface, and keep a spray bottle handy to keep it wet - the item will often have a foot that makes a shallow well for a little puddle of water. Sorry if this isn't written well, just taking a quick break from working outside in the heat, might have affected my brain...

~Cheryl

edit: Also usually make a little masking tape template to make sure I drill the hole right where it should be (the bit can chatter a little when you first start drilling).

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree with @DragonflyWink - don't skimp, buy a proper diamond drill bit and go slowly, very light pressure, rush or press hard and you'll crack the item. I've drilled lots of porcelain tiles in my time along with the odd plate etc, it's a slow and steady job.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've often thought of doing this, too.
    What do you put the item on when you drill it?

LauraGarnet02 and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks @DragonflyWink that's very helpful information. DH was guessing at using a ceramic bit. But I was thinking maybe that's just a name for a diamond bit.

@Ce BCA Going slow is good advice as well. Plus I have some old junky stuff in the basement that I can practice on.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

We were thinking maybe a piece of wood. Since we're drilling, a mask too. Turns out we have several of those around here.

bluumz, bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

Just a quick note - a ceramic drill bit is different from a diamond hole saw, used one of those years ago to drill into ceramic tile wall, and it worked fine, but personally, would recommend a diamond hole saw for your purpose...

~Cheryl

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

This is the shortest clear video I found in a quick search, though he dips the tip in water to cool it, while I've always kept the surface wet (mine are all the same brand, including the one that's had so much use):

~Cheryl

DizzyDaff, LauraGarnet02 and ola402 like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

I keep a readily available 'tool-bucket' filled with tools I use often, the two shown below are kept in it, the heavily-used hole saw still retaining its diamond-grit, and the vari-bit, which I also have in different sizes, is the best thing ever to drill holes in plastic plant pots. Will not get into my borderline OCD thing for sharp stuff like drill bits, knives, scissors, etc. (have way more than any rational person really needs), can only say my Mom was the same - she helped build planes during WWII, 'Dorothy the driller', making the holes for Rosie's rivets, and I was using a drill and other tools way before most kids...

~Cheryl

792021153138.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    bercrystal, LauraGarnet02 and ola402 like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Cheryl, thank you so much! I am so glad I asked about this here. We were thinking 1/4" drill bits, a hole saw makes way more sense. Now I finally get it. Back to the hardware store for a hole saw bit.

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@ola402 - Don't forget eye protection whenever you are drilling. :happy::happy:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:doctor:

Fabulous!

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Getting this all together has been a little challenging, but I've now made a few test holes in an old porcelain plate and they came out pretty well. Figured out how to go straight through with no chips around the hole.

But one thing is still bugging me and that's the hardware. I ordered several different sets of hardware from ebay (Amazon sells the same thing) and they seem a little flimsy. The shaft of the uprights are on the thin side. I have a very heavy glass two tiered stand by Mikasa that has vintage metal parts and they are thick. I don't think the new ones out of China would hold it up.

Does anyone know where I could locate findings that are more sturdy? You go to the internet and are flooded with ads for the flimsy ones from ebay and amazon and etsy, but they're all the same. Thanks!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  14. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

@ola402
    You could try visiting your local junque shops. You might find some cheap already made tiered tidbit trays. Take them apart and use the findings from those. Good old fashioned, heavy duty, non flimsy!

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting discussion. I'm glad that I (finally) found it!

16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This is something I've sometimes considered doing... how did it turn out?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@bluumz I'm still practicing making holes in junk plates and I have to get to the hardware store to find metal washers. I found yet another seller on ebay who has some nice handles (I hope) and I ordered those yesterday. We've been really busy negotiating to get our master bath remodeled to install some geezer-friendly features and that has taken most of my time. Im close however to drilling the good plates and I'll post photos as soon as they're finished. I want to gift some and sell some.

To answer your earlier question, I put the plate I'm drilling onto an old piece of plywood.

bercrystal and bluumz like this.
  18. DragonflyWink

Might suggest nylon washers rather than metal...

~Cheryl

all_fakes likes this.
  19. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Small drill press works great for this process.

20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cheryl, I will get nylon washers instead. I was reading on another site and a buyer said that the flimsy handles work fine when reinforced by a metal washer. Nylon makes more sense with porcelain.

Thanks! I already purchased a diamond hole saw/drill bit and it works great too.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted