Featured Turkish Hand Painted Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Nov 23, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I actually found something at the local Thrift today.I don't think it's worth too much,but even when I score a pair of socks at the thrift these days I'm ecstatic.
    It's a 12" wide Kuthya hand-painted Turkish plate-can't make out the signature,but I think it's basically a wall hanger anyway,as opposed to a harvey wall banger. Turk1.jpg Turk2.jpg

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I get the feeling you aren't a novice in the field of antiques

But ya gotta be more positive about finding stuff mate

It's the same for all of us out there, but the chase isn't over

I very rarely find stuff in charity shops anymore, but I find antique shops and local auction houses are cheaper than charity shops these days For certain things

Most people who work in charity shops haven't a clue on the ambiguous things that turn up

komokwa, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Buying on ebay itself is never a bad option either, badly described, photoed items are abundant

People list things as a buy it now without any realisation of what their items are worth all of the time

I find better things now than I think I've ever found before, not because of the situation of things, but because I've learned more

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Very true! I have also gotten some wonderful (to me, anyway) things because some people don't have a clue what the purpose of their widget is, and so list it as something else. Also mispellings, especially in the early days of eBay...hard to believe how many versions of "tureen" abound. And usage! Fish forks are not the same as dessert forks! Nor is every "hunting dog" a pointer!

komokwa, charlie cheswick and judy like this.
  5. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Local auctions are a gold mine for finding old stuff :)

komokwa and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I used to buy a lot of turquoise from a seller who called it torquis.;) Unfortunately someone corrected him, and with more people bidding, bids became to high for me.:(

7. bosko69

Got to expand my search parameters.Yes,the early days of Ebay misspellings were good !

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lovely plate !!!

Chris Roy likes this.
  9. bosko69

They're quite skilled,prob a trade passed down for decades.Kuthya's an ancient city,surrounded and built on older ones.

Chris Roy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think the plate is all that ancient, however, but it's pretty.

I've found the best places to look for deals are often the "worst" on paper. I've scored huge in houses full of new crap and at tag sales that weren't advertised too well. Went to one house full of new stuff, only to see Georgian candlesticks I'd just seen on a UK Youtube channel. Snagged those so fast.... Found a Yurman bracelet in a pile of kiddie crap at a nothing-much sale. A nice 14k bracelet in the kid leftovers pile at a moving/ estate sale. You get the idea.

11. bosko69

Evey-The plates prob 50's or newer.Yep,the more unassuming and banal the listing,the more untouched for the discriminating sharp-eyed picker.

Draft saved Draft deleted