Turquoise or?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

FD927ACF-D1F4-403F-8CD4-104FAA368171.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. Ashley Felton

2 093DB8C1-73E2-422D-AFC1-7827B13073DB.jpeg 3 EB1F6559-031B-43DD-ADFD-DA4E14630E41.jpeg 4 57FB6735-403D-41D2-B32E-8A8A9C5DAFE5.jpeg 5 2F7FE07C-E953-44B2-B8CC-165D86E8BFBE.jpeg

Kathy Anderson likes this.
  3. Ashley Felton

6 1A1269A6-8671-40FD-8B6E-8C95B988EE15.jpeg 7 A479EC8D-AA2D-4274-A027-786B01AC6E65.jpeg

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

some may be turquoise, some look dyed. difficult to identify which is which with so much shown in various photos, no reference numbers.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with anti, some are turquoise, some are dyed other stones. And it is too much for me to specify the various photos, could you number them please.

Kathy Anderson and judy like this.
  6. Ashley Felton

7. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Agreed, can we divide them up somehow? Some may be turquoise, some dyed howlite, some dyed and stabilized chaulk turquoise, some dyed magnetite (the Chinese keep coming up with more fake stones that they dye and stabilize with resins).

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Ashley has numbered the photos after we asked, but it is still a bit of an overload to me too. I have ADD, so looking at too many photos of different items in succession just creates total confusion in my brain.

As you said, there are more and more turquoise dyed stones. And sometimes they are mixed in with genuine turquoise.

Having said that, 4 and 6 are genuine turquoise imo.
    1 is dyed, probably magnesite.
    The others will have to wait for someone else, or I will look at them in the morning. It is evening here.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

#5 unakite,sodalite,quartz,jasper and a few leaverite.

Jivvy, Kathy Anderson and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

:playful:

Jivvy likes this.
  11. Ashley Felton

The genuine turquoise I’d like to keep. But any value in the others? The one with a few mixed stones is very pretty tho

12. Any Jewelry

I think #4 is the best of the lot, it is probably Hubei turquoise from China.
    #7 has stabilised turquoise chips.
    You can check ebay for prices of similar pieces.

13. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Wow; am impressed. Will have to look up 'leaverite.' Am guessing a few of the turquoise looking nuggets may be dyed & stabilized turquoise?
    Beautiful images!
    #1 - My insecurity on these is the thickness of the dark brown veins. Neither of the American mines that I know of with this color vein (Morenci in AZ and Blue Diamond in NV) that looks bubbled up like that? Have an age on the piece?
    #2 - My guess is genuine turquoise nuggets, at least stabilized (maybe dyed, but feel not). The light brown spider webbing is common to NV, AZ, NM and UT. The accompanying, worn brown cord helps lead me in that direction.
    #3 - Same as #2 and the blue is likely sodalite. Insecurity comes from new cording.
    #4 - Chinese turquoise; could be block/reformed turquoise, (they grind up all kinds of white chaulk/dye, then cut from it), or a mix of lower grade and better grade real turquoise, dyed, cut and rounded. Only cracking one in half and putting it under a microscope would say for sure.
    #5 - See reply to HollyBlue.
    #6 - Genuine and a really nice piece. Given the other items in the piece, probably Chinese or Tibetan.
    #7 - Guessing genuine nuggets, most likely from Asia.
    None of this is certain; I lived in NM for almost 20 years, so I picked up knacks, but it's impossible to tell without destructive testing. :^)
    How close did I come?

14. Any Jewelry

Leaverite: "leave right where you found it". Or as @evelyb30 would say, random pretty rock.

kyratango likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

No turquoise mine in the world has that kind of vein. It is not turquoise, but dyed other stone, probably magnesite.;)
    Not Tibetan, too blue. Tibetan turquoise is greenish. They imported Persian turquoise if they wanted a more blue colour.
    Could be Chinese. I think most of the real turquoise in this thread is Chinese. If you want to specify mines, think Hubei province.

Kathy Anderson and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted