Turtle w/ Spoon

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by The Nailhunter, Nov 29, 2020.

1. 20201129_155258~2.jpg 20201129_155227~2.jpg 20201129_155034.jpg 20201129_155016.jpg 20201129_154916.jpg Here is one of the many Items from my Turtle Collection (I like Turtles!!) I am not sure what it was used for, nor do I know what it is made of or how old it is. I am always worried with the "Hot Pin" trick to see if it is Ivory. I just can't resist Turtles. Any help would be appreciated. I bought this in the 80's at an Antique Store. The color of the Turtle is pretty close to what it actually is.

The Nailhunter (I like Date Nails to :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
    Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Snuff box?

Can you get close ups of some of the surface so we can try to determine if it is ivory or not?

Firemandk and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is there enough of a hollow inside the turtle for it to be a little bottle? More space than for the spoon only?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is there just the one visible hole in his tail, not a second we can't see?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

bone maybe?

Bronwen likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought bone as well. I also thought Chinese and newish .By newish I mean 50-60 years old . :)

7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

It looks like it is a cast resin piece.
    Mikey

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OTHERS (and myself) will always say "NEVER do the 'hot pin' test"......how to ruin a piece!!!!! OR at least mar it, whatever it may be!!!!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Do you suppose he's got a large enough cavity inside to hold a bit of "opioid powder".....at least that's what he looks like to me!!!!

10. 20201129_210935.jpg 20201129_210946.jpg 20201129_155258~2.jpg Well, Thank you for the great questions. After looking at the piece again I noticed some things I have never noticed!
    1. Is there a second hole? No
    2. Is there a Cavity in the piece? Yes, the Cavity gets bigger inside.
    3. Close ups? I took one more picture close up, but my camera on my phone does not do good close-ups.
    4. Something I never noticed!!!! I took 2 pictures of the side of the Turtle, and it is actually 2 pieces. You can see a line that bisects the entire piece. I can actually see where it has slightly separated in a couple of spots. Which probably means it is not Ivory but some kind of Cast piece.

i need help likes this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a fairly recent carved bone snuff bottle. Could be Chinese, but I suspect it was made in Southeast Asia. Wouldn't have been very old when you bought it. Really cute, and perfect for a turtle collector.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Darkwing Manor likes this.
  13. After looking at the inside where the spoon goes I think ya'll have hit the nail on the head!! Thank you for all the input!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted