Two antique decanters?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Feb 10, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I spotted these (and more) today but didn't buy these yet. A quick Google search informed me that similar styles have been in existence since the 1700s.
    How old do you think these two are?

Decanter 1:

Screenshot_2017-02-10-21-40-31.png Screenshot_2017-02-10-21-40-38.png Screenshot_2017-02-10-21-40-44.png

Decanter 2:

2017-02-10 21.41.50.jpg Screenshot_2017-02-10-21-40-50.png Screenshot_2017-02-10-21-40-57.png

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Very hard to tell because of the background, but I don't think that first stopper goes with the bottle. If you are out and about taking photos in shops, bring a sheet of plain paper with you to hold behind an item that you want to photograph. Makes it easier to see details.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. The stopper looks like it fits, but it's out of proportion. I don't know a thing about glass, but it doesn't look "right".

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Neither bottle has the correct stopper.

#1 - The stopper is blown with an air trap bubble. Like the bottle you showed in your first thread. The stopper should fit down into the neck of the bottle. The bottle itself is heavy as compared to the light stopper.

#2 - The color of glass in the stopper is different than the bottle. The stopper should fit down into the neck of the bottle.

The bottles themselves are probably mid to late 1800s. But not the stoppers.
    Many of this style decanter are from England or Ireland.
    Here are what decanters of that period should look like.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=186...67#tbm=isch&q=1840s+Georgian+Whiskey+decanter

lauragarnet and bluemoon like this.
  5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

That's correct. I visited the store and found out that all the different stoppers and bottles (dozens if not hundreds of them) got separated in shipping and most haven't been sorted out. I asked them to put aside four decanters (these two and another two one of which is similar to the one I bought yesterday and showed in the other thread). Maybe they'll have their original corks at some point. Since they don't know really much about the subject, and many decanters had mismatched stoppers, I almost volunteered to sort out all the decanters for them but didn't dare after spending 3 hours in the store...

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

If you are starting to collect decanters. You should also be aware what sick glass is.
    It is present in your second decanter. It is a clouding on the inside caused by interaction with the liquid contents and the materials of the glass. This usually occurs over time where the liquid has just sat. Often called Sick Glass or Lime Deposit.
    upload_2017-2-11_8-12-12.png

For the most part is does not come clean and is considered a defect which lowers the value of the item.

There are some things to try, but they usually work with limited success.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here is what I do with decanters that have "sickness". I pour a couple of tablespoons of heavy mineral oil into the decanter slosh it all over the inside. Turn the decanter upside down to drain. After it stops dripping, I wipe the edge and turn it right side up and insert the top. The decanter will look fine until you open it to clean. I leave mine unopened for several years, just cleaning the outside. I only do this to decanters I am keeping. If I plan on selling them, wash them out,show the damage and off they go.
    greg

9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

@Bev aka thelmasstuff @evelyb30 @clutteredcloset49 @gregsglass

I think the stopper could actually be original. If you look at these pictures, it's noticeable how the stopper doesn't really stick out more than it's supposed to. Only the rounded part of it is out of the bottle and you can see a line that was worn into the spot where the stopper starts to touch the bottle.
    What do you think?

Screenshot_2017-02-17-16-50-43.png Screenshot_2017-02-17-16-49-49.png Screenshot_2017-02-17-16-50-02.png Screenshot_2017-02-17-16-49-19.png Screenshot_2017-02-17-16-49-40.png

Draft saved Draft deleted