Two Brooches found in recycling and given to RSPCA, looking for any information please?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Martin RSPCA, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Martin RSPCA

Martin RSPCA Active Member

Hi everyone

Thank you for viewing my post, here I have two brooches, the lady looks like a painted crinoline, it is marked TLM, the other however has no markings on the back but has a signature on the front which I do not know, I am not sure what it is made of but I really like the design and thought it stood out.

They were found in and rescued from a local recycle bag and they stood out to me as being worthy of rescue! ,I wondered if anyone had any ideas about either item

Thanks Again

Martin SAM_3172.JPG
    SAM_3175.JPG
    SAM_3176.JPG SAM_3174.JPG SAM_3173.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The first one is a pound if you're lucky, sorry! Second is an artisan one. Pretty but no more than a couple of quid. Keep hunting though. ;)

afantiques likes this.
  3. Martin RSPCA

Martin RSPCA Active Member

I will, thank you :)

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have to agree with obb.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I love the second one!

Martin RSPCA likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I like the 2nd one too ! Diane Zabit ? Zalit ?

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first one is a celuloid cover over some kind of print. They never were too valuable, but someone will buy it "just for pretty" and because it looks old. I really like the second one; is it enamel? The birds look almost Japanese. The construction looks American, but if it's artisan that means little or nothing. The blanks could have been exported.

Martin RSPCA likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I thought the second looked like fired porcelain. Swallows, by the way. I did try googling the siggie, but no joy.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from here. It has a metal back, which means little. The front is applied and could go either way.

10. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

The first looks Transfer (English) as printed on back. The second I agree with OBB, Swallows. I think it’s a form of glass fusing using foil for the crackle effect. If so, then the Homespun artist may never be revealed. I say artist Diane does great Swallows in flight no matter the medium.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The second one, I’ve always wondered about these, they look like they are painted on lenses from old eye glasses. Or maybe I’m just nuts, who knows!

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Good to know but I'm guessing these are long gone (2015 thread:))

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  14. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

TLM Thomas L Mott

Draft saved Draft deleted