Two CDVs one of Lincoln other of Grant real thing? Also Copper Negative anyone recognize the man?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Brywil1970, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Ok I have two CDVs (well I think that is right) one is of Lincoln the other is of Grant. Can't find any like these although I can find a reproduction photo by Brady that seems to match the Grant CDV. Are these legit period pieces? Also was wondering if anyone recognizes the man on the copper negative (is that the right name?) It looks like maybe a young Taft?

TIA, Bryan

IMG_0711 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0712 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0713 (600x800).jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The card stock might be ok but the images feel a bit suspect to me. Can you photograph them out of the card holders and maybe a closeup shot of each.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Could be Taft - keeping in mind that the light and dark are reversed in the negative and the image would be a mirror image too. He did have a rather high hairline, the one ear that's visible is similar (long and a prominent lobe) and since he had a cleft in his chin the light line in the center of the darkish chin could be that feature. And of course, there's a THAT moustache!

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. Brywil1970

Well I bet you are right. A friend asked me to check these out for her and she thought the Lincoln was a fake. But both of thses have a photo attached to the card stock which is not right (or at least with the little I think I know) anyway here are the pictures. I guess I should have taken them out of the holder before I bothered you guys :)

IMG_0714 (600x800).jpg

IMG_0715 (600x800).jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

They both just don't look right to me. To get a 100% certain determination you'll need to get a hands on appraisal. The way the photo is mounted to the card is ok, it's just that the photographs themselves look newer (not 19th century).

SeaGoat, Figtree3 and lauragarnet like this.
  6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I fooled around with the copper negative a little bit in IrfanView. I know there are other boardies who can do better and adjust the contrast and brightness. All I'm capable of is to reverse the negative and flip it horizontally.
    copper-negative-02.jpg copper-negative-03.jpg

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not much help but here is my try.

upload_2017-8-15_20-29-46.png

judy and lauragarnet like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Now I'm becoming skeptical of the Taft possibility.

9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Wow! That is good! Excellent in fact.

judy likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I also think the printing on the back of the cards looks wrong... It looks like a reproduction to me also, at least in the one photo that is shown. The decorative lines have many breaks in them. Maybe that was in the original. I don't have any of Anthony's CDVs in my possession. And I am looking at them through plastic. The print on the back also doesn't appear to be struck as clearly as I would expect.

So in this case it is just a suspicion, not a definitive statement. Somebody needs to show these to a photo expert who can look at them in hand. It sounds like these belong to your friend, @Brywil1970 -- I would suggest that she do that.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Not Taft. Looks familiar, though

12. Brywil1970

Thanks everyone

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted