Featured Two finds at London's markets - any further information?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by shamster, May 13, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Visited London this weekend, bought these: 2.jpg
    These are said to be silver and it seems to react as such with my 9ct gold, so not so sure. And not cheap. Seller said 80's studio works, does anyone know what exactlt these are?
    1.jpg
    this brooch (left) costs me dear, not expecting a deal in these markets! Sold to me as georgian, not many examples online( only two on instagram and one claimed to be georgian as well), the garnets look right but unsure about the heart section. All thoughts welcome!

Figtree3, Dessert58, reader and 9 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a good eye you have. Interesting finds. Photographs of the backs of all please.

Debora

reader, kyratango, wlwhittier and 4 others like this.
  3. shamster

Thank you! All attached - I assume the c clasp on the gold brooch is a later replacement, seller said so, and other two examples I found has only a loop of a pendant. And a tiny mark reads as HAL 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

5. shamster

Thank you! The font seems alike, but not the way they're stamped? And I noticed he's making georgian revival stuff, but none of them gold though. I do hope it's at least an Edwardian Georgian revival piece haha still thank you for information

kyratango, wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the brooch is lovely !!!

shamster and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. shamster

little dear~cost me dear~

Bronwen likes this.
  8. shamster

Well, bad news and good news...
    The bad news is, I found this brooch with the same design and maker's mark, stated as 1959 in auction: Weixin Image_20240514001802.png

However, it was sold at 510 pounds, just a bit lower than the price I paid for mine, and it would definitely be at lease twice expensive at the retailer.

I bought this at London but now I am in another city, I paid the seller with paypal, do I return it or keep it and perhaps sell it one day?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Only you can decide if you want to return it, given it was mis-represented by seller. But it's lovely and a very prestigious maker.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 4.23.30 PM.jpeg

Figtree3, Dessert58, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  10. shamster

Yes I agree, but I guess I won't buy it if I know it's a vintage piece, though it's not copying a known georgian piece, and the combined styles work well. I'll contact seller and see what he thinks:hungover:

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  11. shamster

or maybe wait 30 years so that it qualifies as antique:joyful:

12. komokwa

However, it was sold at 510 pounds, just a bit lower than the price I paid for mine, and it would definitely be at lease twice expensive at the retailer.

510...plus juice......at auction.....so your price.....not that terrible.....
    u know the maker.....
    put it on the lapel of your white summer jacket when you go out fancy.....and your mates will gather round !!

On a '''' none of my damn business ''' note...... you should do more research 1st before dropping 500 pounds on a bauble....& .. where does a 22 year old gal get 500 pounds that she doesn't need for her flat ?/ ...:woot::woot::confused::confused:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. Mike Mac Dnald

Mike Mac Dnald Active Member

510 pounds in 1959 is equal to 2900 pounds in 2024.
    My brain has a rattle and stuff like this falls out....

johnnycb09, Marote and daveydempsey like this.
  14. komokwa

the brooch is from 1959..................... not the auction;)...:playful::playful::playful:

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The earrings and tower brooch do look like 80s artisan. Not a clue whodunnit.

16. Mike Mac Dnald

Mike Mac Dnald Active Member

See... you proved my point! Rattle...Rattle...I kill me....

johnnycb09, Marote and lvetterli like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I found that about Lazarus on this page:
    https://claricejewellery.com/produc...ival-lazarus-paste-green-gold-silver-earrings
    "Harold A Lazarus was a London based jeweller who created this signature stone featuring inclusions within glass to emulate emeralds.

Lazarus created pieces for a short period of time in the first half of the twentieth century and was heavily influenced by Georgian and Victorian design. The earrings are on unmarked silver with gold pierced hooks.

Lazarus's work is briefly spoken about in the book Antique Paste Jewellery by M.D.S Lewis."

Figtree3, Dessert58, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  18. shamster

Well...you all agree it's a sweet little thing...and the flat cut garnets really got me. And enamelled heart is not cheap, a tiny Edwardian one with fine details would cost 500 too. Not that bad though, no cheaper than a normal Georgian piece as you can tell from the auction price.

Btw I buy it not for mates, it's for money;) if I decide to keep it eventually, I'll find another one willing to pay more for it

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lazarus worked a lot with paste, so if you do decide to keep it I'd suggest you check if they are indeed garnets. The seller could have misrpresented the stones as well as the period.
    It is a very sweet piece, but nothing about it says Georgian style to me, let alone Georgian period. But if you are happy with the price being in the price range for a Georgian piece, I suppose all is well.;)

kyratango, Dessert58, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  20. shamster

Thank you! Do you know any way I could test the garnets at home? I have a diamond tester but since garnets’ hardness is close to glass it’s difficult to be sure. Additionally, all the other examples of the same heart were said to use garnets, stated by the dealer and auctioneer

komokwa, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted