Featured Two glass decanters

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Dec 9, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Got these at a really good sale. They are pretty thin/light glass. Nice quality etching. Pontil marks on both. I was thinking Georgian, early 19th? Possibly late 18th on at least one? They don’t look grayish to me though. I don’t know too much about glass. Would love opinions. Thought possibly Irish? 03E5DD04-A27D-436A-A5FF-1B6DD48BAE4D.jpeg 4023A36F-7121-45D8-A4DC-B48B49984FC1.jpeg BE4B26EF-3EC3-43B2-8658-EB48A838ADFD.jpeg 40845EC9-1306-48CB-997E-D138AD8EDE37.jpeg

2. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Good morning! Those are pretty. How tall are they? If those are candle holders next to them, I'm guessing 6-8". If so, they could be cruets instead of decanters.

Figtree3 and J Dagger like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I know squat about this stuff, but my first thought was Georgian. Neoclassical.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

So pretty.Its a great pity about those chips though. If you are buying them to enjoy,do so,but if you are reselling,leave them be.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Georgian glass is usually distinctly grey, predating lead crystal. Those look more Edwardian in style to me, that swagged etching.

6. J Dagger

You’d typically be right if those weren’t massive candle holders. The candleholders are 19”!

7. J Dagger

I bought them cheap enough that I’ll be able to enjoy them for a while and still profit. The chips are a pity though. With the stoppers on they display well at least.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. J Dagger

Interesting. I always assumed this style of decanter was older. Good to know that’s not always the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted