Featured Two Glass necklaces

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bobsyouruncle, Nov 27, 2019.

1. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

I've had a day off so took some pics and would like to post tonight.
    I hope I don't fill the board too much but it isn't often I get the chance.
    First are two necklaces I think the first is Czechoslovakia but not sure. Would it be worth restringing and if so what should I use for thread?
    The second I have no idea strung on wire.
    No idea how old Thank IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1596.JPG IMG_1597.JPG you

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The first could be Czech. Could also be German.
    If you are keeping then worth restringing. Have you restrung before? You might get more if they are restrung. Not sure it would be enough for the time spent, unless you just like doing it.

The second are older. Might be from India. Just guessing as I have some strung on wire and was told that is where they originated from.

bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Czech and probably Japanese - the green one is probably from Japan. The Czech one is probably early 60s. They used that clear filament and over the years it tends to shrink until... beads all over the floor. I'd probably restring on tigertail if you plan to keep it.

bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Thank you both! I have never restrung but like to give it a good. What is tiger tail
    That is quite exciting if they are from japan had never considered that

judy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd not restring the chain one, but I'd give it a good vinegar bath.

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Tiger tail is a plastic-coated multi-strand wire used for beading. It also requires crimps to finish it off and make sure it doesn't come apart at the seams. The ends can be sharp, so they have to be covered. It's a bit of a pain, but on the other hand glass beads don't cut it like they can woven cords. It requires tools like wire cutters, pliers etc. Beading cord is easier for someone who's never done it and requires fewer tools; you can get pre-threaded needles and all you need are a sharp scissor and some glue for the knots.

bobsyouruncle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted