Featured Two-lipped Glass Carafe, could it be Blenko?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Apr 14, 2023.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful hand blown glass carafe which has two lips or spouts and four ribs, presumably to make it easier to pass around and pour. I think it is beautifully made, with very clear glass in a kind of blue-green colour which I see as peacock blue or maybe sea green. (Difficult to capture with my digital camera). It has a very neatly-ground pontil on the base, and I feel it is from a high quality manufacturer. It is about 19cms, 7.5 inches high. Blenko seems a likely candidate, with a line of squarish, flat-sided water carafes designed to fit into fridge doors, including this colour, but I can't find this particular rounded, ribbed style. Do you think this one is Blenko, or can anyone suggest another manufacturer?

carafe - 1.jpeg carafe - 2.jpeg carafe - 3.jpeg carafe - 4.jpeg carafe - 5.jpeg carafe - 6.jpeg

2. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I think it is missing a top and that it was a cocktail shaker - the color seems reminiscent of what the Czech's called beryl - maybe that's worth a look...

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. ValerieK

Thanks Rclinftl, I've now had a look at Czech beryl glass and there are definite similarities, I'll keep doing searches in that direction, and include Czech, Bohemian and beryl in my search terms. There is a firm called Moser which is a possibility I will keep in mind, although they don't seem to have done anything two-lipped. They have done items with the same colour, and they seem to like ribs too.
    I don't think it ever had any kind of top or fitment for a shaker, there is no sign of an attachment or rubbing anywhere and the lips would make anything fitting over the top impossible, although the general curved shape of the body is the same as many cocktail shakers. Thank you for your input.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Rclinftl

often the top would have the frosting not the vessel - and in many cases with the higher end glass houses like Steuben there would be no frosting at all nor marks or rubs because the precision of the artistry - like in my last photo...

2spout.JPG 2spout2.JPG 2spout3.jpg

5. Rclinftl

in part it is your measurement that is leading me to believe it is a cocktail shaker - it sounds to small to be a carafe but perfect for cocktails...

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. ValerieK

Thank you for persisting with this, and please pardon my disbelief! My searches for glass cocktail shakers only turned up the usual kind with various fitments, but your photos show that double-lipped cocktail shakers were indeed a thing, and mine is probably one. It also means that alas mine is incomplete. I would love it to be Steuben but the ones I've found by them seem to be in clear crystal glass, which I gather they concentrated on after they perfected it in the 1930's. Who made the green ones in your upper photos? I shall keep searching until I track down the maker, and learning a lot in the process.

7. Rclinftl

I wasn't trying to insinuate that it was Steuben - just using that as an example - I do not know who made the 2 green ones I posted pics of - I still believe because of color that Czech is the direction you should investigate...

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. Rclinftl

I'm sorry - I am trying to be very specific to help you understand a view point but keep forgetting to add details... the shape of the shaker is what is referred to as quatrefoil - which is something that the Czech's and Austrians often employed - Lobmeyr was the undisputed king of quatrefoil in glass (you should do a word search - the wares are breathtaking) and Moser (czech) - in porcelain it was also that region - especially Germany (Meissen and Dresden) that used the quarterfoil shape profusely - so coupled with the color that is why I am saying I would look in the Czech direction...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. ValerieK

Thank you, you've given me lots of terms to continue my search, and I think that with them I may eventually find something, perhaps a lesser-known factory. At least it seems very likely that it is a quatrefoil, beryl coloured glass cocktail shaker from the area of Bohemia or Germany, maybe 1930's or later! That should be enough to satisfy me, really, and is a great deal more than I knew when I started! Looking at the various glass objects online is a pleasure. I think I must start to use my shaker, not for cocktails, impossible anyway without the stopper, but maybe as a vase, there are lots of flowers coming out in the garden at the moment.

Figtree3 and Rclinftl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted