Featured two stoneware pots, blue bands

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Sep 18, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Where/when on these little pots? Could be 19th century American, or 18th century German, or 17th century Chinese. Either way they are somewhat boring, homogenous pots, but I like them. I haven’t had any like them and can’t pin down a discernible clue on origin. Help!

Bonus planter at end I picked up at same estate. I love this one. Italian made I think it was. 7BDDE1CF-7A96-445D-8F84-6A4448A6A964.jpeg View attachment 45 7AB8FA5C-4A17-41C7-A777-02D1CF51710A.jpeg B2749C88-668E-4AC3-AB61-681B298F3191.jpeg 4CEF5F85-10A9-4918-B69B-8E199B611662.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Number 3's a beaut !

Bronwen and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

Gracias, I really dig it! I’ll be keeping this one and putting a house plant in it.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Put a liner in first.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The two stoneware pots are antique Chinese provincial ware storage pots.

6. Ownedbybear

They show up a lot on the Thames foreshore, those.

bercrystal and J Dagger like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Makes sense, they were used on all ships in the Asia trade, also European ones. They bought their supplies locally, in local storage vessels.

8. Ownedbybear

Supposedly, many were used as ballast, too.

9. Any Jewelry

That is likely.
    That is also why the Dutch came to ship Chinese porcelain back to Europe, which turned out to be a great hit.

10. J Dagger

Gun to my head that would have been the nearest thing I’d grasp for but I really wouldn’t have been confident in living out my days. Thnx

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Have a guess as to century? 17th? 18th? Not sure how to tell on these.

12. bosko69

J- Even the 19th century pots seem to have some fairly high BIN/prices prices.Maybe survival rates are rare,or demand soaring ?
    PS-Or Plan B...sellers are once again having a psychotic break.

J Dagger likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Neither am I, the style has been the same for centuries. There is also very little information on utilitarian Chinese ceramics because the focus is on porcelain.
    You could ask the Dutch Princessehof Museum, they are considered an authority on East Asian storage vessels, just about the only one.
    Contact info: info@princessehof.nl
    Ditto.

J Dagger and bercrystal like this.
  14. J Dagger

I’d guess if it’s made in China before 1950 or so it just rides the coattails of the porcelain craze a bit.

edit: Paid $5 each I think. I’ll likely keep them as I like their look and it’s nice to get things potentially 200-400 years old and in good condition for peanuts. If I do sell them though I’ll let ya know what I get.

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  15. J Dagger

Thanks AJ!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. bosko69

Some good sized pennies from heaven for $10-good work,it sounds like you stay darned busy.Hard work's the way to make it pay these days,that & lots of study-i still see newbies walk past some lovely cheap stuff.

J Dagger likes this.
  17. J Dagger

Thanks. I even see vets walk by pretty decent stuff. The real fast selling stuff gets snapped up with good reason but some good stuff gets left behind regularly. I really think a lot of people just don’t have the capital to hold onto to a lot of stuff waiting for it to sell these days. Not that I do but I sorta make it work. I stay busy buying and busy farting around. If I could get focused and list half as much as I buy I might make a real go at it yet. That said anyone have a natural/homeopathic type supplement or remedy they use to improve their focus?

Potteryplease likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's called ...sleep !;):playful:

J Dagger and Potteryplease like this.
  19. bosko69

J-I'd think the antique Chinese provincial pots would be something many casual pickers might walk by.Not a lot of us here,but obviously this gang studies.Their as simple as a piece of old Shaker treen.

J Dagger likes this.
  20. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Nice! I like #3 as well!

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted