Featured Typical at my local Charity...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jan 12, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Walked into my local Charity the other day,I've found a few things there,but they've begun to research their donations.Well,I spied this intriguing decanter off to one side of the counter and asked 'How much ?'.
    She nicely said-'I haven't Lensed it yet,been so busy'. OK...this Charity actually is all volunteer & verily does genuine 'Good Works'.
    I quietly sighed,pulled out my phone,snapped a pic-and there ya go !:banghead:
    PS-I'm kinda surprised that w/ AI-anything's found cheap these days.I wish all us intrepid explorers good luck in the years to come.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1601662348/bohemian-czech-green-cut-to-clear-glass?ref=share_v4_lx

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oy. They'll put $500 on it if it ever shows up at all.

3. bosko69

They're great good-hearted folks.I showed her the Etsy asking price and told her my 'daily limit' was more like 7 Bucks than $700-we laughed.
    Still got the old pickin' itch,but the way I see prices bouncing around on Ebay from stratospheric one quarter to the dumpster the next-for resale anyway,you've just gotta lowball.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The price in Euros is 666, the mark of the Beast!:eek::nailbiting:

Beautiful decanters though, pity about the price.

5. bosko69

The etching in the gold frieze is lovely.

6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Nice decanters. I often suffer the same predicament in the British heart Foundation. If there is no price they either Google image it or pluck a figure out of the air. I now know who to ask and who not.

I find Etsy prices to be a bit excessive sometimes, so maybe it's in reach.

7. evelyb30

There's a charity shop here that likes to overprice some things too. They've had some silverplate sitting in their "special" glass case since before Christmas, because it's only worth about 25% of what they have on it. Meanwhile I got a 14k bracelet for $6 on Thursday in the same place. They totally missed the marks. I couldn't see them at first either, but no one hollow out links if they're pot metal.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  8. bosko69

Etsy,Chairish & 1stDibs can be nuts.Ebay strangely can occasionally be quite reasonable.
    Some of the 14K stamps are so tiny you almost have to feel for them.

9. evelyb30

That's what fingernails are for, but some are so faint a nail won't pick it up. That's why I pull up my glasses and go bare-eyes for them.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Those are nice decanters on Etsy, but I wouldn't pay that ever. I was thinking maybe $50 for the pair.

11. bosko69

I'm no 'Glassie' & know zilch re values,but that Steuben Aurene's pretty stuff.
    PS-Ola,I'm with you, 1/14th asking price is my dream goal when pickin'.
    PSS-Evely,I wish I could be more subtle when putting on the magnifying glasses.Lots of Dealers get dollar sign$ in their eyes when I do that.

12. evelyb30

These days they do that when they see me pick up a piece, if they know who I am! If Ruth wants it, it must be real metal. I even had one dude who though a Sarah Coventry pendant had to be real silver because I wanted it.(LOL) I wanted it because it was pretty 70s Grandma jewelry. How did I know it was Sarah Coventry? Uh, it's signed? (LOL!)

13. bosko69

I found a piece of 14K clasp/beads w/ freshwater pearls.I reexamined it because of you 'Joolies'-Thanks !
    It'd been around for years,marks can be darn tough to find,but I kept looking because of your tutelage.

Draft saved Draft deleted