U.S. 5¢ coin

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 12, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Got this in pocket change today: a well circulated U.S. nickel from 1944. That's old for pocket change around here... never mind being American (I'm in Canada).
    Dscn7045a.jpg

There's a spot of color to the right of the portrait that looks like a break in the coin's skin. Weren't American nickels made of nickel back then? Was it some wartime thing?

Dscn7050b.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its got silver content too.

Its a War Nickel, 56% copper, 35% silver, 9% maganese,

Nickel was required for the war effort.

you might get a $1 for it.

Figtree3, Jivvy, judy and 8 others like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Those war time 5 cent pieces all had their mint marks over the dome on the back. P for Philadelphia, D for Denver and S for San Francisco.
    greg

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just a curiosity to me. I wonder if it's actually been out in circulation all that time.

To me, it's worth a nickel.

5. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Very nice small piece of history, if it could only talk, just for fun I'd hang on to it.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. daveydempsey

It probably circulated for 10 -15 years then found itself in foreign lands having being brought back from a vacation or visit or given by a relative.

It then spent probably 50 years in a box or tin in someones mixed collection of foreign coins and other stuff.
    The owner then probably died and the coins became someone else's property or they were stolen in a burglary.
    Then some snotty nosed kid decided to mix it in with normal coinage and get one over on the shopkeeper.

Shopkeeper or teller then decides this is a foreign coin and decides to offload it to the next unsuspecting customer.

Your gain .:D

I buy collections of this type of stuff all the time.
    Non are usually coin collectors, just accumulators of once interesting foreign coins.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I once bought a coin set at a thrift store. One year's Canadian coins, one of each value. Nothing special about them except that it was a half price day and I was able to buy the coins for less than face value. I just put them in my pocket and spent them. Thing is: Canada mints a 50 cent piece that no one ever uses. The set included one. I took it to my local coffee shop, and it was an adventure getting them to accept it all.

8. gregsglass

Hi,
    You should have seen the cashiers face when I used a silver dollar coin little bigger than a quarter. She looked at me like I was a bank robber. She called her manager over and showed him the coin, he said it was fine. The girl put a dollar in the till and kept the coin. She had never seen one before. It was a common Susan B. Anthony coin.
    greg

9. Michael77

Moreotherstuff ya got me thinking, I had a few old coins stash away. Here is a1909 wheat penny, buffalo nickel with the date worn away, and a 1904 liberty dime in real bad shape. None of these have any real value beyond face. All were acquired while getting change back except the dime, don't know where that one came from.
    IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2481.jpg

10. gregsglass

Hi,
    We all get weird coins once in a while. My favorite was a 1568 Elizabeth I six pence found in the mud when they were building a new highway in Philadelphia in 1974. When I was having a new window installed in my 1905 farmhouse there was a brand new 1905 Liberty dime installed under the sill. They used to install new coins when they built new houses.
    greg

11. Michael77

Wow 1568 now that's a find!

12. daveydempsey

Here is just a random fraction of my US coinage from my coin cabinet.

When my American cousins came over last year both had only seen the Washington Quarter and the Kennedy Half.

Both are in their 60's and did not know the other coins even existed:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

img404.jpg

img405.jpg

img406.jpg
    img407.jpg

img408.jpg

img409.jpg

13. Michael77

Nice collection! And in very good condition, Thanks for putting those up.

14. gregsglass

Hi,
    Your last coin the V instead of 5 cents caused a lot of problems. People were gold plating them and selling them to new immigrants as 5 dollar gold pieces.
    greg

15. daveydempsey

That is correct Greg, 1883 had just a V instead of V Cents and people got scammed.
    The same year they changed the coin to include Cents.

img410.jpg

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Seems like I'm always getting Canadian quarters I've never seen before. So many commemoratives. If someone wanted to counterfeit quarters, they'd only have to get the obverse right; they could put anything they wanted on the reverse: who'd know?

17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Of U.S. coins valued for their silver content (no additional numismatic value) War Nickels are generally disliked by collectors and coin dealers due to their low silver content (35%) and the difficulty to refine them to extract the silver. Some of the coin dealers in my area sell War Nickels for below the silver value and they purchase them for 30/40% of silver value. This is unusual since there is usually small price spreads on junk silver coinage.

18. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I love old coins, especially the big bronze ones. I'm not familiar enough with silver coins to risk buying them, but I won't complain about spending twenty or twenty-five cents on the older ones, even if that's above catalogue value. Here are some recent ones I found (albeit none that are American).
    thumbnail (97).jpg

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This is a really fun thread! I have a cache of foreign and odd American coins, as many people do. None worth anything beyond face value, I'm sure.

20. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

When I got a change order for work a few weeks back. There were 2 rolls of silver dimes in it! a clerk had me get him some change which included a roll of dimes, and 5 minutes later he called for another roll of dimes, I asked him what was up, and he showed me the silver dime roll, and sure enough there was another silver dime roll in the bunch. If I remember right ,there were at least 4 Mercury dimes mixed in the rolls.