U.S. 5¢ coin

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 12, 2019.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

This Dutch 'nickel' must have gotten lost a lot
    dutch 001.JPG dutch 002.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My coin cache includes many coins from Canada... mostly gathered through a few visits there, and the odd coin that shows up in change once in a while.

Also have coins from Australia, Austria, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Jamaica, Mexico, Russia (including one Soviet), and Slovakia.

I know where I got most of them but some are a mystery. I have a few from Denmark but have never been there and don't remember anybody giving them to me.

The finding of the British coins was the most interesting. They were in a public laundry in an apartment complex in the Midwestern US, sitting in a small stack above the coin slot on a machine. Nobody else was in the room and none of the machines were being used at the time. Maybe somebody abandoned them when they realized they wouldn't work in the machines? Anyway, I took them after nobody showed up while I was doing laundry. They are from the late 1940s and early 1950s.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Still occasionally get a silver coin in change at the shop. Got a Buffalo Nickel last Fall. Even got a Silver Certificate Dollar last year.

4. CryHavoc

CryHavoc New Member

That is a war nickel and they were made from 1942-1945. Bickel was needed for weapons of war so these nickels were made of Copper Silver and Manganese. My father was a bookish sort so we learned about stamp and coin collecting. I know of most all of the coins pictured on this thread.

5. CryHavoc

CryHavoc New Member

Good collection of German Pfennig coins, Italian coins and at least obe that looks like it might be silver

Michael77 and Barn Owl like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You don't say ! :rolleyes:

Jivvy likes this.
  7. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you. :)

8. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I still check coins for dates, a habit from childhood. A few years back I found a dazzlingly bright nickel; it was a wartime silver nickel in almost perfect condition. I wonder if a kid had found it at a grandparent’s house and spent it. I’d found a few over the years, but nothing recently; over time the silver turns almost black. The silver wears down relatively quickly, so it was shocking to find a 65 year old silver coin in nearly mint condition.

Figtree3 and Michael77 like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I live in the Detroit area. Windsor, Ontario is just across the Detroit River and I travel there several times a year to try out Canadian shopping/merchandise, LOL. Americans don't even have to exchange our money, the Canadian stores accept it (but only on par, never mind the exchange rate).

Canadian coins frequently pop up in my change from US stores and I'm sure the Windsor-ites must get a fair amount of American coins in their change. I'm used to it, it's just something I grew up with. (Though now that the exchange rate is no longer even close to being on par, it's annoying to get those pesky Canadian coins. I definitely try to get rid of them on my next trip to the store and hope the cashier doesn't notice.)

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I do have a selection of various bits and pieces accumulated "over there". And speaking of Dutch nickels: the Netherlands really do (did?) have a very small coin. Here it is next to a dime:

z.jpg

It is smaller than one of those old silver half-dimes.

Figtree3 likes this.