Featured Ugly Lamp

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ascot, Nov 11, 2016.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The folks at our local antique mall were given this lamp for a silent auction they're having for a local charity. They asked me if I could ID it but I have no clue. I think it's butt ugly and looks like a bad marriage, but maybe I'm wrong. Pics were taken in the antique mall, so I apologize for the cluttered backgrounds.

It's about 30" tall, very heavy. There's a 5 arm electrified candelabra in the center. The cord is new but could be a replacement. The shade appears to be handmade and has a dog's breakfast of decorative elements, from the colored stones to the starburst etched glass "eyes" to the small glass putti figure inserts, and then that jeweled crown on top. The metal on the shade has some iridescence to it, like metal that's been heated with a torch.

Am I wrong about this? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's beautiful. Steampunk. Dr Who. Like that.

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with bdigger, that piece looks like Hoffman pieces

I think the lamp is fabulous:)

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you all! Although the lamp isn't my taste at all, I appreciate it and want the charity to benefit.
    I'm familiar with the Hoffman butterfly and agree the little rectangles do look a bit like that.
    So, do you think this could possibly be a Czech piece?
    The owners of the antique mall said that the donor of the lamp thought it was worth $500, so they're wondering if they should put a modest reserve on it. Although I know you don't normally give values, could you tell me if you think $500 is in the ballpark so that they can determine the reserve?

Again, thank you all very much! And FYI, the charity event is to benefit a free medical clinic where local mostly retired physicians donate their time to treat indigent people of all ages.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you can claim it's from a New Orleans cat house...I'd say $ 850 !!!

7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Too funny. I'll pass that along!

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am in the ugly camp with this one. Looks to be relatively new for the most part. The base seems made up of parts both new and old. Think the base is off an old floor lamp. The stem is newer as is the lighting cluster/arms. The shade also looks to be newer and artisan made. All that said, I am sure this has decent value. Ugly sells :rolleyes:.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Funny, that was my take also.
    The big round pieces look like coasters. Also those little intaglio pieces seem out of place with the type of lamp. I was thinking someone was a very talented hobbiest or studio artist.

KingofThings, Bakersgma and ascot like this.
  10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks again. I'm in the verybrad and cluttered camp on this one.

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That lamp ROCKS !!!
    Whomever made it had talent, and made it with love !!!

KingofThings and ascot like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Isn't that odd. The intaglios do indeed look to be old Bohemian and that inset cut piece has age, too.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Personally I would not allow it in my house.

However, if the clientele who (may) will be bidding are, say, well off. I think you can suggest that it might be an antique and/or use Komo's idea. (Actually more believeable) Or use both. It's one or the other.

After all, it's for a very worthy charity, and absolutely all is fair in that situation.

It will be on the positive side of your ledger when you meet St. Peter.

ascot likes this.
  14. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Love your post! Yes, the patrons at the charity affair are well-heeled. In past years, Mark Wahlberg from Antiques Roadshow has attended and emcee's the auction portion (he grew up here in my city) and revs up the crowd. I think he's coming again this year. It's a fun and worthwhile event, and stories about the auction item are always welcome.
    The items donated for the auction cover a wide range. One of the other items I was asked to ID is a beautiful 1922 Rookwood vellum vase. The donor told the mall owners it's worth $10K, which of course it isn't. The reserve is $1000 so I'm interested to see if it sells.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There's a feel of an Indian or Middle Eastern handiwork in the shade.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Has the auction happened yet? Let us know how this lamp does!

Somehow I missed this thread earlier... There is something out of proportion between the shade and the base, and I don't think they were originally together. Or if they were, the lamp was not designed well. I can't speak to the age of it. Until I read some of the comments about the glass used in the shade, I was thinking it reminded me of the colorful, modern shades that are used as decor in some restaurants and bars. But now that the details are pointed out -- it still reminds me of those, but it is not!

Draft saved Draft deleted