UK to Ban Ivory

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Apr 3, 2018.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I have many items that I consider "rare or important" what does that even mean? Will we see a glut of Ivory come on the market? or will the good pieces go up in value before the ban?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43620012

kyratango likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I a hoping to pick up some nice antique pieces at knock down prices if there is a panic to unload.

kyratango and 808 raver like this.
  3. 808 raver

I think understanding what is exactly being banned could see us make a killing before and after the ban, I'm sure some people will sell not knowing if they will be stuck with that item for life but from my understanding I only have 4-5 items that come under the ban, that's if they don't come under the "rare or important" category but knowing what is "rare or important" could make the informed very rich.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. afantiques

I'm not intending to sell anything, so the details are not all that important to me.
    I have to assue that rare and important is stuff that selles for tens of thousands in normal times.It is also a long way fro a proposed bill to a passed act with plenty of chance for the whole thing to be kicked into the long grass.
    At a guess I'd say Labour voters want tio save elephants and conservative voters have pieces of antique ivory, so someone may do the electoral maths. This could lose the government enough support to see it replaced at a general election.

808 raver and kyratango like this.
  5. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Do we know when this law comes into effect?

808 raver likes this.
  6. 808 raver

I don't know when the Law comes into effect but I would assume it will have to be passed by the Tories, the antique trade has been lobbying the government for a while now not to ban all Ivory as it's just a stunt, there is a test that can be done on Ivory to tell it's age, any prosecution should be backed up by hard evidence, something the antique trade welcome but to ban all ivory won't stop elephants being killed it will just hurt the antiques trade. As for "rare or important" items, I can't see money being the thing that determines what is "rare or important" not many things go for £10.000+ and if that were the case then rare things that don't reach that now might at a later stage. Would these boxes be "rare or important"? 28576937_1840899702595926_5448232432350265344_o.jpg 28783386_1840872752598621_5981639745283817472_o.jpg

judy likes this.
  7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

The whole thing is a farce and won't stop Elephants being slaughtered.
    I don't intend selling anything but I really wouldn't know if after a ban mine would be legal to sell.
    None of it makes much sense to me.

judy, kyratango and 808 raver like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Both boxes are special , but I can't speak to rare...not knowing how many were made...or how many still survive !

9. Ratsy Brown

It would be interesting to know if carbon dating would be enough to allow sale of ivory.
    However prices for such a service would not be cost effective for all but the most valuable pieces. This site quotes £500 plus VAT per item. And with that no guarantee it will be of an acceptable age.

https://c14.arch.ox.ac.uk/charges.php

10. 808 raver

I don't think the cost should be down to the seller to provide a sample and get it tested, but the responsibility for selling an item that breaks the law should, if the government want to prosecute an offender the cost of gathering the evidence should be down to the police or CPS, I'm confident that all my pieces are at least 90 years old.

judy likes this.
  11. Poisonivy

It says this>>>>>
    • Items comprised less than 10% ivory (by volume) and made before 1947.
    Does that mean less than 10% AND made before 1947?

judy and 808 raver like this.
  12. 808 raver

I haven't found many other boxes with painted miniatures on top in the last few years and I can't find one for sale anywhere in the world today

judy likes this.
  13. 808 raver

Yes

14. Poisonivy

What 'less than 10% Ivory by volume' means though I have no clue.

judy likes this.
  15. Ratsy Brown

I can't find the article but I remember reading a case of a man selling modern ivory as antique on eBay. The police service had it tested, it was found to be modern, he was fined for the sale of modern ivory and had to pay the cost for the 2 pieces that were tested.

16. afantiques

I think the dating is by detecting minute traces of an elemntal isotope that did not exist in nature before the use of atomic bombs. Some radioactive isotope of a normal element such as selenium or iodine.

808 raver likes this.
  17. afantiques

As for coming into force, it would have to go through the whole parliamentary process first
    This could take years or never happen. The government's best plan would be to take credit for the thought and let the act bog down forever in committees and amendments.

18. Poisonivy

I hope that's right...
    Prince William keeps poking his nose in though.

19. 808 raver

He seems a decent guy but when researching the items I have I keep bumping into "on loan from the royal collection" lol. The thing is that all the royal stuff would come under "rare or important" if not the item it's self just the fact is was given to the royal family.

judy and kyratango like this.
  20. Poisonivy

Of course and the royal family won't get rid of any Ivory.

Draft saved Draft deleted