Featured Unintended Side Effects of Antiquing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barn Owl, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

What are some of your unintended side effects of antiquing? We all have them
    I, for instance, can no longer walk past antique stores without looking at their wares and thinking how much I've paid for identical pieces at flea markets or on ebay. Or silently calculating jewelry prices against their probable melt value. I can't afford any jewelry from an actual store (nor would I buy it, since I don't wear it), but I'd much rather buy antique pieces than modern pieces.

Marko, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 8 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Unintended side effect:
    Hoarding.

Wogomite, axelrich, cxgirl and 14 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I jump up & just about put my nose on the screen to see what it is when a character in a period drama, such as the BBC's Victoria, is wearing a cameo. A lot of the time I sit back down with the pronouncement that it's an anachronism.

Marko, cxgirl, Boddah and 12 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Spotting anachronisms in TV shows and films. <sigh>

Boddah, Jivvy, pearlsnblume and 10 others like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have become very cheap, when I see something I like in a store I think of what I could get it for at a flea market or yard sale!

I have been know to look at the bottom of china in a restaurant to see where it came from ;)

Another side effect, I bore my relatives. I was talking to some friends, fellow collectors, about how I love English Victorian milk glass. About how someone on the PGP board had a piece they were having trouble IDing and I was able to help with an old book that showed it. My friends got it, my family would say "So?" :wideyed:

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unintended side effect:

"We used to have one of those."

Sometimes followed by...

"... but we gave it to Goodwill."

or

"Haven't seen it in a long time. Must be around somewhere."

Debora

Boddah, Jivvy, Aquitaine and 8 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Fans.:rolleyes: Jewellery.:rolleyes: Eyeliner and other make up that is not contemporary.:rolleyes: Eyeliner and other make up on a nun.:jawdrop::rolleyes:
    :inpain::inpain::inpain::nurse::dead:

Marko, Jivvy, pearlsnblume and 7 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. And the wrong buses, trains and even things like typefaces!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wrist watch with a toga.

Debora

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Dutch Jenever bottle sold in a café in a movie situated in the Netherlands during WWII.:rolleyes:

11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hoarding for me too. I also find that I don't buy much other than food and everyday essentials from retail stores. I get everything else from estate auctions, yard sales, and thrift stores since I can't stand to pay obnoxious retail prices for things I can get for pennies on the dollar. Have not been in a department store for(with the exception of shoes and undergarments) years and have far more clothing than the typical person. My furniture may not be trendy but it is built to last and was mostly purchased very cheaply.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Unintended side effect-
    Both small girls have a canny eye for a hallmark in a charity shop. Shame they don’t know how to keep their voices down when they do............
    They also both assess other people’s jewellery........loudly . We have had words

13. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Only time I went to a department store in recent memory was to buy an outfit for my daughter's wedding and my trip to Europe. Oh, couldn't find a windbreaker at St. Vinnie's so I found one at Farm & Fleet on clearance. I'm way cheap!

Linda

14. Bronwen

Maybe you could get them to use gestures to express their excitement instead of verbalizing it. Of course, then they might knock crockery off shelves, waving their arms around.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Before buying something new, Mother and I "shop the house." Almost always, the thing we need is already at hand.

Debora

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why don't you and the girls develop your own secret code? Useful in life as well as charity shopping.

Debora

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Spending a hour or so in the 2nd hand store, has a calming effect on me....and for 5 to 15 bucks it's money well spent......but now I have a table full of items I have no real use for..............

Boddah, Jivvy, judy and 7 others like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Agree, but finding it in amongst the hoard takes some time in our house!

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No doubt!. I did consider never taking them again when one of them said at top volume ‘It’s got 375 on the clasp, that’s gold isn’t it?’. Sadly the rather lovely and very cheap bracelet instantly got spirited away by the assistant. We had words again....

judy, Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  20. Bronwen

How old are they? Was the daughter who made the 375 announcement also disappointed when the bracelet was taken away?

judy, pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted