Unique Flower Frog help with ID please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sdcookie2, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Hiya, anyone know the maker of this item? Staffordshire? At a lose here. Thanks Steve IMG_20191019_101614136~2.jpg IMG_20191019_101624823~2.jpg IMG_20191019_101633784~2.jpg IMG_20191019_101651774~2.jpg

Bronwen and judy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Spill holder, not ink. Not convinced it's English with that frizzly stuff on it,but I'd agree on late 19th. An inexpensive fairing or market buy at the time.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd say 19thc Staffordshire for sure, seen that frizzy stuff on other pieces - and I think it could be an inkwell with those holes low down like that - just like the greyhound inkwells, no?

The eBay one has a big ink stain too!

judy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I can see how the bottom part could be a pen holder, but why would they have an inkwell with two holes going into the same container? It's just one of those things that don't make sense. Inkwells didn't have lids to keep the ink from drying out? I'm willing to be educated.

judy likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Two holes = Two quills? I don't think these were really ever intended for use as the people acquiring them at the time were predominately working class and more than likely illiterate ..however, having a pen holder on the table when the vicar came for tea might suggest someone in the household had the ability to write? Sort of like the painted clock faces on other Staffordshire?

judy likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

If British, not illiterate in the late 19th. Our factories and education acts had made provision for decent basic education. Literacy was up around 90 percent by the 1870s. You had the great Quaker factory owners, for example, as well as the drive by Prince Albert for universal education.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I hail from the birthplace of the industrial revolution. I don't think things were so enlightened down the mines and in the ironworks - maybe in the cities, but not so much in the industrial heartlands ..maybe the kids were being educated by the 1870's, but keep in mind a 50 year old couple in the 1870's would have been born in the 1820's ...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  10. Ownedbybear

11. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

If people tried sticking their quills and pens in some of those holes, they might stop listing them as pen holders. I have enough trouble trying to keep my toothbrushes upright. Remember, it's never a good idea to use "information" from someone else's listing unless they give a reference. People will say anything to make a sale. (I am ornery in the mornings.)

Bakersgma and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted