Unknown arab Dallah signature anyone?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Woutinc, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

I have an antique arabian Dallah with a signature i would like to know if someone can tell me more about.

Why this question?
    I also have an other very rare and wanted syrian Dallah which is signed/marked by the son of the famous Dallah inventor named Raslan (18th cent). These are the most wanted and most value ones.
    And it could be possible this second one is an original (other) son of Raslan Dallah too.
    Date probably is 18th/19th century (the other one is).

Would appriciate help! If the help works out great for me i eventually (later) will 'appriciate even more'.;)

https://postimg.cc/sMHqnjJ7
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

we're going to have to see actual photo's here to enable us to help u.....

Born2it and Woutinc like this.
  3. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

I know, sorry. Was busy with it but had to go to the dinner table.
    Why i already put a direct link next to it (which here works).

If i press Edit the image is there. In my post i have a X.
    Don't understand what goes wrong :banghead:

This is how it now is written (in BB text).
    In my humble oppinion it should be visuable?
    Code:
    [URL]https://postimg.cc/sMHqnjJ7[/URL]
    [IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/TPTx3hL7/Dallah-unknown-signature-woutinc.jpg[/IMG]
    PS: Do it this way on other forums all the time.

Aznathalie likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

kyratango and Woutinc like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wout, I found your photos of the other dallah (beautiful!) on your site, and they would be too big to post here. So these ones are probably over the 445x640 pixels limit too.

Here is more info on how to upload pictures, please remember to click on 'full image' when you post:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Posting images from your phone:

iPhone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

Android phone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

kyratango likes this.
  6. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Thank you. It was bigger then that indeed.

Now made it 444 by 593 and still i get that X :arghh:
    Already been successfully uploaded.

Thanks. That's the other one indeed. I guess you'll now understand why i'm eager to know if this one is an original Al Raslan Dallah too.
    One original most wanted ones is super! But two originals would be .... (no words for that yet).

If not then it still is a beautifull imitation.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Thank you. Can't get the URL working well.
    I used the 'image' sign in the text editor were also B (old) and I (talic) are.
    With the [/img] tags it should work i would thing?

Now i use the knob you mentioned and that worked (thank you again). Hope it now will work and someone can put that image up in the start topic. Got that done myselve :shame:

Now going to hope someone can tell (show?) me the name behind this signature.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Woutinc likes this.
  9. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Thank you Bakersgma.

What i know about these dallah's is that there are originals made by Raslan. Those where that higly favorit already those days, that many immitated them. Immitations often also signed by the immitating maker.
    I discovered one of mine is Raslan marked, but all the other signatured i've found, including this second one of mine, to me all seem the same.

I need to find exact this one. To know if this also is a son of Raslan or an immitator. In some kind of list or perhaps by someone who can read arabic?
    This dallah with this brand is interesting, but a Raslan signature makes it 7-8 times more interesting (and interesting for the one who gives me the exact answer).

10. Any Jewelry

I don't know if an Arabic reader can decipher your mark, but I'll tag one of the forum's Arabic readers for you.
    @GreekAntiques , can you decipher Wouts mark?:)

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

12. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

No one who can help?
    Would really appriciate it, with good thanks later when it turned out well for me.

13. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Last attempt. Anyone??

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

an answer may still show up , in the fullness of time !:happy::happy::happy:..;)

Woutinc likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@GreekAntiques has been tagged, and I will tag again. Previously in the translators thread volunteered for basic Arabic. Also, in the translators thread @Aznathalie said that she can translate some Arabic.

We don't have many members who have volunteered for that language.

Woutinc and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Also it is a mark, rather than regular script. It is stylised, it is worn, and there is some polish residue, all factors to make reading difficult.

On the left could be Arabic numerals, if so it could say 800.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Woutinc likes this.
  17. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

As far as i know and understand from another simular mark there should be saying someting in words. (??) What that other mark says brings me directly to the (rare expencive!) maker, and i hope this text will do the same.
    In arabic three signes with a dot and a line can tell half a story.
    And i would like to know what words/centence this mark says, which for me can be a lead to look further.

So still i would highly appriciate to have it translated, and if it helps i am willing to post better images perhaps edited (contrast or so? to be better read.
    To me it can bring the difference between a worth of a handfull tenners and some thousands :woot: so really important to me
    :happy:
    Please!!! @GreekAntiques @Aznathalie or whoever

18. Any Jewelry

Translations are important for all of us, as is recognizing marks (a big difference). If people are not here, can't read it, or don't recognize the mark, so be it.
    If you are convinced that it is legible to an Arabic-speaking person (I am not so sure), why don't you ask at a local Mosque. Several of us have been succesful doing that.

Woutinc and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

God idea. I already asked someone i thought spoke arabic, but that wasn't.
    But that's a good lead i can do something with. Why didn't i thought of that myself? Thanks.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Graag gedaan.

komokwa and Woutinc like this.