Unknown Makers Mark

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jason Newton Samson, May 11, 2022.

1. Jason Newton Samson

Jason Newton Samson New Member

Hi, I have an octagonal oak coffee height table (121cm x 126cm) with an unknown makers mark on the top (please see images). Any info on the possible maker and country of origin would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Jason Screenshot_20220511-195000_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220511-195007_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220511-194944_Chrome.jpg

wlwhittier and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELCOME, Jason! Nice looking table, that I can't help much on! Might help if you mention where you got it from....and/or where you generally are! Others should be along soon!!:happy:

3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like a makers mark but owners personalization

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

That makers mark looks like it was burned in with a hot branding iron. It looks like woodworkers can do that with either an electric branding tool or a real hot iron that they heat in a flame.
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-1112dec/makersmark.html

That mark looks like a conjoined XB, like a rancher's cattle brand. That table does have a ranch style look to it. So far I haven't found anything on the internet about who that woodworker might be.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

quarter sawn oak
    England
    circa 1900 give or take a decade

the legs may have been cut down somewhat , or maybe had ball feet.

& the mark was the owners.....maybe even him entwined with his sweet virgin bride when they got the table as a wedding gift !!!

@verybrad
    @Ghopper1924

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Must disagree in that I don't think this is antique at all. Maybe vintage mid-to-late 20th century. XB could be a personalized brand, as others have mentioned.

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Have to agree with ghopper on this one. Base looks very much like mid 20th century to me.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It could be older if stripped and refinished.

Jason Newton Samson likes this.
  9. Jason Newton Samson

Thank you to everyone who commented on my post. I am in New Zealand, we have a small but eclectic mix of antique and vintage furniture down here. Most oak items mid century and older have been imported, not locally made, as the country did not have any substantial European settlements till the mid 19th century, and thus no a lot of oak was available as its not native. NZ has a lot of 19th and early 20th century items made from Kauri and Rimu, both of which were abundant here. Anyway, thanks again, I will keep looking for info on this table. Cheers

Aquitaine and Born2it like this.
  10. evelyb30

New Zealand makes a difference. Different countries got different styles at different times. Not sure I've ever seen Kauri or Rimu here on the USA East Coast.

11. Jason Newton Samson

Kauri and Rimu are a bit boring in my opinion, European and American timber varieites have a lot more grain character. Do you collect vintage cars, just saw your profile image?

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not much more to add. My gut tells me his is late 20th century but could be persuaded otherwise. Can we see the underside? Agree that the XB is not a maker's mark.

komokwa likes this.
  13. evelyb30

Oddly I found a small clock made of Rimu wood and marked New Zealand at a fundraiser today. Thanks to this thread I knew what it was (and anyway it was marked) but I left it for the next guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted