Unknown Painting...

Discussion in 'Art' started by Daniel Perrea, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

One of my friends in high school went to a different elementary school. That's how they made their t's. We learned the other way.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

I read it as Eb or Ele Jost. Jost is a family name but also a first name - short for Jodok.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I thought Ele Jost also, last night I searched aall over the web for an aartist with that name but no luck.

4. Bradley D. Adams

Bradley D. Adams New Member

I have a EC Jost picture also just about like yours and been in family since 1950s.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have not been following this thread and have not looked at all the links. Just want to add that it was not uncommon for publisher's representatives to sign prints and sometimes the signature bears no relation to the artist's signature at all. This was generally true when the works were signed in the plate and after the artist's death. Is this signed in the plate?

6. Bradley D. Adams

Signed in pen

Attached Files:

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I mean is there a signature within the image somewhere that was printed along with the image? ..... not hand signed. Here is some additional information:

http://www.jdsmithfineart.com/information/question-plate-signed

Here is an example of a plate signed signature with a hand signed signature right below by Seymour Haden. They are not always this obvious and you may need to search for a very small plate signature. They can be anywhere on the print but most likely near the bottom either right or left .

[​IMG]

8. Bradley D. Adams

Very small signature think on side of house.

Attached Files:

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

10. Salli Martin

Salli Martin New Member

I have an Ele Jost with the exact signature. I acquired this pen and ink from a friend whose grandmother died at 95 and left it to her. She said that it hung forever over the fireplace.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is yours pen and ink, or an etching? Do you have a photo?

12. Here is an image of a print that walked into my shop yesterday. She also has the Venice etching framed by the same artist. There was discussion about the signatures and I thought I would post what this signature looks like. There is no signature in the plate and no printers or publishers info on on the print. The signature is in faded ink and I took it to read E. C. Jost.

13. Clifton Briggs

Clifton Briggs New Member

Hello! I have this same print. Our family acquired it in 1960, Bethlehem, N.H.
    And E C Jost is the ‘etcher’..no date and no copyright.
    At the same time we got this country scene that reminds me of the Connecticut River, north of Dalton, N.H., we got a ‘G.W. Bohde’ etching, same size and country scene with a fisherman walking the path from house to river, church upriver on the other side, and!this one is copyrighted & dated 1891.
    Both were meticulously archival framed in 1992 and I enjoy viewing them.
    So it was nice to

Pat P and i need help like this.
  14. Clifton Briggs

EC Jost is the correct spelling for the signature on the etching.

i need help likes this.
  15. Clifton Briggs

EC Jost

16. Clifton Briggs

EC Jost is correct

Draft saved Draft deleted