Featured Unknown Perfume Bottle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Nov 19, 2021.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Hi all. Does anyone recognize this? Art deco with brass floral filigree? Thanks.

20211119_164251.jpg 20211119_164138.jpg 20211119_164146.jpg 20211119_164121.jpg filigree. Thanks!

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This type of bottle was very popular in the 60s through to the 80s. The majority of them were made by Matson, Stylebuilt & Guildcrest. Some were also imported & sold by Irice. Some of the bottles matched various pieces that you would find on a vanity table or in a bathroom such as trinket/powder jars, kleenex box holders, vanity mirrors/trays, etc.

Recently on this forum, this thread was posted & there was a discussion as to the use of the words ormolu & filigree. Neither word really accurately describes this bottle but those are the words that buyers search so if you want your bottle found you do what you got to do.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/large-ornate-perfume-bottle-filligree-ormolu.65564/#post-4313849

Here are some that come up on a Google search.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ABHZVvDsEQjJkEegQIBhAC&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...mg&ei=lmKYYf3kB86hzALy5ayYDg&bih=937&biw=1920

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, 60s-80s so not Art Deco :)

4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Could it be called art-deco style at least, given the angles and layers of the glass?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I would say no....

Houseful and dude like this.
  6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thank you for that detailed response. Do you think ormolu is inaccurate for this piece because you don't believe there was mercury (or fire) gilding with the amalgam of gold and mercury but rather gold electroplated over a nickel substrate? Or do you think the metal is something else? It sort of looks like gold in person.

7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

On a side note, sounds like inhaling the fumes from the mercury-guilding of ormalu creation was almost or even as bad as absorbing the mercurous nitrate toxins from curing felt for hats back in the day.:dead::depressed:

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

in France the technique with mercury is forbidden since appr. the 1830s but continued till the 1900s.:rolleyes: I don't know if there was a stricter legislation or better protection for the workforce introduced then; for a long time the laws weren't the same for individual workshops and ateliers/manufactures where the owner was working himself alongside the normal workers.
    in proper French it's called Bronze doré. Ormolu is a crippled made-up word from "or moulu".

dude, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

These pieces were often done in very thin gold-plating.

dude likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I call 1960s on that one, just from the style. It looks like the sort of thing my mom's friends still had kicking around in the 1970s. As for bronze dorè, I guess the French got sick of mercury poisoning. Literally.

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted