Unknown platter

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Junk man, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Junk man

Junk man New Member

109A3470-52BC-4B0A-8584-D91E2A6B6825.jpeg 7DF189A7-A506-4117-86AE-9F64BBB0AD63.jpeg 109A3470-52BC-4B0A-8584-D91E2A6B6825.jpeg I need help identifying this dish, serving tray or platter. Im very new, and thought it would clean up nice for a gift, but I don’t want to damage or in anyway lower it’s value. I’ve spent several hours fighting with google but can’t find this exact item.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Junk Man!

Probably silverplated, bearing the trademark of Forbes Silver Co of Meriden CT that was organized by Meriden Britannia Co specifically for holloware silverplating in 1894. In 1898, Meriden B was one of the founding companies of International Silver and this trademark continued to be used. Wilton may be the design name.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  4. Junk man

Junk man New Member

Thank you very much. I still can’t find anything on this specific piece, but will continue to search tomorrow. Any chance you have a link to a good way to clean it without damaging it?

judy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's siver plated...shine it to within an inch of it's life...u can't hurt it by doing that !

judy likes this.
  6. Junk man

Junk man New Member

As a coin guy, that is the opposite of what I’m used too.

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well...for starters....it's not a coin !
    There are different opinion shared here as to what and when to polish to a high gleam, & as you pointed out, coins are not one of those, but silver & silver plate IMO....deserved to be kept in a high gloss state.

( I do like some of my own silver in a somewhat duller finish....but that's just me)

P1010082.JPG

judy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The only way to damage it is to use something coarse. I don't recommend old T shirts. I find them too coarse. Something softer.

Personally I prefer liquid silver cleaners as they are easier to wash off if there are any crevices. Pastes often gets stuck in crevices.
    I like Wrights liquid found in the grocery store.
    There are plenty of silver cleaners to choose from. Just stay away from Brasso.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  9. Junk man

Junk man New Member

Thank you all for your help.