Unknown Wooden Asian Statue (about 4 feet tall)

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by rickkeller, Jul 19, 2020.

1. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

I purchased this statue in an antique shop and was told that it was probably Indonesian. I've done a ton of web searching and can't find anything like it. Anyone have any ideas if it probably is Indonesian and/or more specifics about location/tribe, etc?

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you were steered to the wrong continent. Try Africa, not Asia.

Debora

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Mugzinnys like this.
  3. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

Well I bought it in Asia, so thought that would be more likely, but maybe you are right

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

1CCDDCF2-973A-4333-95B2-24C1C5819892.png

Check Full Image next time, it’s easier to see.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, then it may be from closer to home and I misdirected you. Apologies. That said, it certainly doesn't look Indonesian (to my eye.) But I do suggest for the future that as a courtesy you provide all the information you have about a piece in your initial post.

Debora

6. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

You are right, I should have given more background. Basically I lived in Shanghai and a french couple bought an antique shop from another frenchman who had collected this on his travels, so they didn't have much info, but they assumed Indonesia.

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pacific islands.....or thereabouts..

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's a fairly recent carving from Bali, Indonesia, made for the tourist trade.

It's strictly a "decorator" item, as opposed to something based on an actual traditional figure or artifact.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Rick. Impressive looking fellow, isn't he?;)
    I'm with Taupou, a decorator item made in Indonesia. It has no relationship with any culture anywhere in the world.

It is a very strange phenomenon. Many people around the world want 'Tribal', whatever it looks like, and the Indonesians are happy to carve anything that sells, even if they have no idea what it is.
    I guess it is like the 19th century city dweller's desire for nature or perceived simple country life, combined with the curiosity for the 'exotic', which in the 19th century often was the Orient. We are no different.

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious: so true!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted