Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Unmarked Bone China Cup/Saucer, Old?
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="dgbjwc, post: 345128, member: 308"]You are most welcome, Jim. Identifying the flowers could be a bit difficult. You frequently find flowers depicted in china decorations that nature never intended or, as in your case, are vastly oversimplified. That being said, the flowers with the dropping petals might be coneflowers. </p><p><br /></p><p>SIS gave you a wonderful (as usual) and much more helpful answer than anything I provided. I can only add that these items are often found unmarked. Frankly, they were not meant to last very long. They were mass produced for the still emerging middle class. It was expected they would be broken and discarded within a relatively short period of time. </p><p><br /></p><p>The exact age of the cup and saucer may not be too helpful in your genealogy quest. I don't know what year your family emigrated but the cup and saucer may have already existed for decades before they made the journey. I envy you your family heirlooms. Heirlooms in my family are very few and far between and none exist from prior to emigration.</p><p>Don[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="dgbjwc, post: 345128, member: 308"]You are most welcome, Jim. Identifying the flowers could be a bit difficult. You frequently find flowers depicted in china decorations that nature never intended or, as in your case, are vastly oversimplified. That being said, the flowers with the dropping petals might be coneflowers. SIS gave you a wonderful (as usual) and much more helpful answer than anything I provided. I can only add that these items are often found unmarked. Frankly, they were not meant to last very long. They were mass produced for the still emerging middle class. It was expected they would be broken and discarded within a relatively short period of time. The exact age of the cup and saucer may not be too helpful in your genealogy quest. I don't know what year your family emigrated but the cup and saucer may have already existed for decades before they made the journey. I envy you your family heirlooms. Heirlooms in my family are very few and far between and none exist from prior to emigration. Don[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Unmarked Bone China Cup/Saucer, Old?
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...