Unmarked plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

More unidentified things. I bought a couple of these for 99p. It would have been churlish not to. They have stick on plate hangers on them and maybe more will be revealed when i soak them off. Some numerals on the back again. They are about 23cm in diameter.

IMG20240220112859_copy_1024x1366.jpg IMG20240220112907_copy_1069x1425.jpg IMG20240220112912_copy_1216x1622.jpg IMG20240220112920_copy_1145x1528.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Look like mid 19th century Staffordshire to me.

Figtree3, Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Acetone will get rid of that sticky stuff.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Yes. I love splashing the nail varnish remover about.

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I use Pure Acetone, I buy it by the litre, nail varnish remover has too many impurities and other chemicals in.

20240220_163428.jpg

Revenant, Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

Cheers. Dangerous in the wrong hands such as mine

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a known dangerous substance - don't use in an enclosed space. But it does take gunk off.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

If the plate holders were old ones it's often bovine glue, if so it will soak off with warm water. Try that before acetone.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Be careful of those red numbers. They are likely overpaint and easily washed away.

Bakersgma and Chinoiserie like this.
  11. Chinoiserie

Made out of cows knees and stuff? Thanks I will try that.

12. Chinoiserie

Well I never knew that. I thought they were enamel or something indellible. Thanks

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Chinoiserie

I had a copper tray a few years ago and I tried to clean the price tag glue off. Before I knew it, it had bloomed badly. Turned out it had some kind enamel coating on it to keep the copper shiny I guess. Whole thing was ruined .

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Older copper often was. The only thing to do is remove the coating entirely and keep it polished. A damaged coating just looks a mess.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Charming plate. Love how it teeter-totters between sophisticated and naif. And I use Bestine to remove stickiness.

Debora

16. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Chinoiserie likes this.
  17. Chinoiserie

I've given the plates a bit of a soak and the glue just dissolved in the main. I could make some good beef soup from the resultant gloop I reckon. As I suspected, one of the hangers had been glued back on at some point. It appears to have been done with epoxy resin. Bring back the birch! I will try soaking this with 80 degrees water when I have a little more patience. This should soften it up and hopefully I can peel it off without it taking pieces of plate with it. Not much else revealed other than an impressed capital N mark on one of them.

IMG20240222190753_copy_1153x1537.jpg IMG20240222190802_copy_1113x1485.jpg IMG20240222190815_copy_1205x1608.jpg

Figtree3, kentworld and Ce BCA like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted