Unmarked Porcelain Cups

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dcfirebottle, Feb 14, 2018.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

A set of non matching cups, without marks, I'm guessing limoges? There is a mark on a few of them but I don't think it means anything. Would a set come like this or would they be individually bought? (one is black and doesn't match the others at all). Any guesses on age? There are also a few cups with handles, that kind of match, but no saucers. Thank you for your comments.

20180214_150321.jpg 20180214_150335.jpg 20180214_150452.jpg 20180214_150536.jpg

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

They are commonly called pink luster/lustre and all appear to be 19th Century and almost surely English.

The one with the big red rose bottom right in first photo resembles an Adams, kings or queens rose but that's just a common name.

The handled flat sided cups are London shape as are the handle-less cups of similar shape. Cups without handles are also called tea bowls.

I think that's all I've got right now.

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Google "Sunderland pink lusterware" images. The ones without handles are called, naturally, "handleless cups" or tea bowls. If they had saucers, they would usually be cupped at the sides. These usually date mid to late 1800s. The ones with handles may date the same or a bit later.

dgbjwc and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Thank you for that, say it slowly and ascot. Had never even heard of pink luster till now.
    Obviously not too good at guessing. Think I'm zero for three now, and will probably get even worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted