Unusual antique sofa style - anyone else seen one like this?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by HappyYogi, Nov 12, 2018.

1. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Good evening, everyone. I've just been given this drop-arm sofa, and was told that it's Victorian, but I can't find any other references online to the unusual double hump style back. Can anyone help to identify it?

It was recovered professionally a few years ago, so all the material is modern. The lever appears to be iron and quite rustic, so I don't think this was a high-end piece originally. It's possible to drop the arm into three different positions.

It's very heavy and the upholstery is well-padded and possibly sprung. The front feet are buns and the back just simple squares.

I'm going to attempt to re-cover it myself (my first - I am slightly worried!), so I will be able to take more photos once I start removing the tacks.

45437286_485682645253814_5690057649668751360_n.jpg fullsizeoutput_e68.jpeg 45697031_485682638587148_9113444032540835840_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess more 1940s than victorian. Is there wood under there,on the arms or along the back?

3. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Hello johnnycb09. It's all covered by fabric and padding, so there's none of the usual exposed wood that I'd used to seeing. It has a very modern feel to the shape, but the weight is most definitely not modern! Very heavy indeed.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I purchased a very similar couch new back in 1984 .. both arms were able to drop down into 3 positions, it also was extremely heavy .. it was for my daughters bedroom, friends could sleep on it for overnight stay-overs ... Joy.

HappyYogi and i need help like this.
  5. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Goodness - that's certainly not the Victorian sofa the lady who gave it to me described it as! I'm rather glad I didn't pay for it. It's exceptionally comfortable though, so I'm looking forward to falling asleep on it.

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that the one I purchased in 1984 is your model but it certainly is very close in style and operation as the one I had, It was a VERY useful and comfortable couch .. Joy .. :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

I guess when I open it up, it'll become more obvious? Hopefully they left a newspaper in there as a clue :)

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If you got it in the UK, with that back shape, it may be 30s ish. I'll be interested to see the innards.

Draft saved Draft deleted