Featured Unusual Antique Thread Art - Looking for Origin, etc.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by OldWhitby, Nov 3, 2022.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I'm not sure if this should be here or under art. I got this many years ago and have puzzled over it ever since. It is all done with fine thread but it isn't needlepoint or embroidery. The threads are looped back and forth to form solid patches of colour. I'm assuming that they are somehow glued in place. The style to me is reminiscent of mourning pictures of the early 1800s (especially the fountain element on the left). It is clearly faded.

I sent some photos to a dealer in New England who specialized in early samplers and the like and she had not seen anything like it - she thought it might be European. The frame is 12.5" x 10.25".

The area shown in the 3rd & 4th pictures are each about 1.5" across. The 5th picture shows one of the sky areas.
    There are a few areas in the water that sparkle and some of the threads in those areas appear to be wound with foil (gold and silver) as is done with some Indian embroidery. The 6th picture is one such area. The focus isn't good but the black speckling is the wrapping.
    Image041.jpg Image043.jpg Image044.jpg Image271.jpg Image048.jpg Image051.jpg Image052.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is very interesting. Yes, it does look like an old style. Can you tell if the threads are attached to the whitish textured backing that is showing in your pictures? Looks like there used to be a piece of fabric sealing the whole back together, but it has been mostly removed.

Have you tried partly taking it apart to see whether it is glued or not? I've also never seen that stitch, but am not an expert.

3. Figtree3

I'm seeing the back of the framing in the 6th picture.

4. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

Sorry, I left out that picture.

Image045.jpg

I have taken it out of the frame and there are a few loose threads, but otherwise it is all attached but no visible signs of glue.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Born2it, Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The buildings look southern European to me, maybe Italy.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The scene itself looks like Italy to me too, but print sources traveled all over the place so... dunno.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

When you think you've seen it all..............................................................!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Well, I never... that is completely new to me! Very interesting. If it isn't glued - it must be "couched". I've seen couching done on a small scale, but never an entire scene. I did some searching... and I did find this... http://rugrabbit.com/node/208492 It said it was 17th-18th century and this piece was Chinese...
    couched lion2.jpg

full couched lion 2.jpg

Cheerio, Leslie

9. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I had no idea I had such a rarity but it seems to have stumped the experts. I suspect the threads are glued somehow but there are no visible residues which I would expect when lining up fine threads back and forth.

10. Northern Lights Lodge

Houseful and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Figtree3

It does look like couching, doesn't it? Interesting information, Leslie.

12. Northern Lights Lodge

Yes, I think so. It would be nice if we could prove it by seeing the stitching on the back... but it doesn't look like the backing would come off easily.
    Leslie

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

There are a couple of areas near the top where a few of the threads are loose and you can see the backing which looks like cardboard or the like - no fabric-like texture. I tried to get some pictures but you really can't see much in them. The first picture is the wider view and then 2 closeup pics. Image050.jpg Image002.jpg Image003.jpg

Re: "there is a large section of white with diagonal uneven black lines. I believe that they laid the white thread down on the linen and then stitched (couched) the white thread to the fabric with the black thread."
    I believe the 'black' thread are the metallic windings that I mentioned in the opening message

There are areas where the texture looks like there could be couching but under the magnifying glass the differences in texture are due to the degree of twist in the threads and also the thickness of the thread. You can see that clearly in the last of the 3 pictures above. The large areas of the sky are fine textured because the threads are finer.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Northern Lights Lodge

Well, I think I'm stumped! If the whole of it isn't couched... then it must be glued somehow. Perhaps it is old enough that what ever kind of stickum was there has just disappeared without a trace. If it is couched you should be able to see the couching thread going through the backing (and I don't see that in your last photo).

I'll keep my eye open to see if I run across any other possibilities... but at this juncture... I don't have a better guess!

Cheerio, Leslie

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I believe the search term you’re looking for may be “yarn painting”.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  16. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

That certainly seems to cover what I have but I don't see anything older than maybe a couple of decades. I googled yarn art and found a site that referred to spreading beeswax on the backing and pressing the yarn into it. That might explain how mine was made.
    Every craft has its origins and my initial question was where and when. It seems to me that wherever my 'painting' came from there were likely many others. Probably there were even schools or individuals who were teaching it just like there were schools in America that taught needlework to young girls. The style suggests early 1800s and a few have suggested southern Europe. The discussion has been enlightening.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  17. Born2it

A far easier and smaller version of this craft was taught in art class at my elementary school in suburban New York in the 1970’s. Much more like the Mexican style I’m sure you’ve seen lots of during your research, but using glue and fairly thick yarn. We made trivets and coasters, in blinding ‘70’s colors. Nowhere near as upscale as what you have, but it implies that the idea was well known enough 50 years ago to have reached the cultural backwaters.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  18. Born2it

19. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have been frustrated in my attempts to find more about this particular technique.
    Was it Carol Huber you contacted?

Draft saved Draft deleted