Featured Unusual Capstan Inkwell Unlidded 1905 Birmingham

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nathan Lindop, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

JBought this inkwell for £75 along with a harrach glass bubble inkwell. Solid silver English Birmingham capstan inkwell. The liner is a custom fitted original funnel ink bottle and is in perfect condition. Condition is consistent with age, it has a dent to the top but the tarnishing is just ink that can be seen in the photos. Haven’t cleaned it yet.

Does anybody know whether this is a rarity. I haven’t seen a single example that is without a lid. Though I can speculate that it may have had a lid that isn’t hinged that is now missing.

Also, I’m out of my depth here but seeing as it is stamped BPDC could this have been made just for aesthetic purposes and not for practical use on a ship, hence the lack of a lid. But if Boots did make all sorts of silver back then, then my idea is out. I don’t know much about this though. Any help welcome :happy:

Hallmarks : BPDC Boots Pharmacy Drugs Company, Birmingham, g for 1906

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

No clue on this one but I'd like to see a pic of your Harrach Inkwell.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Nathan Lindop

Here’s the harrach. Saw one go for £18 the other day. Somebody is selling inkwells but not describing them at all. I just don’t have the money to spend on new things at the moment. All spent up.

I think these inkwells are worth something just over £100 maybe like £120. Then again I haven’t seen too many and there’s prices are so erratic, they usually flop because of being under described or unidentified. But there’s one on 1st Dibs for £250 I think.

But I’m probs being hopeful because it’s an Inkwell I have xD
    image.jpg image.jpg

4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I have one just like it as well as a paperweight. The decor is referred to as "Glatt Iris" and sometimes called "Soap Bubble"

If memory serves me I paid about 18 as well.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's a delightful little piece, but I don't think that the intended use had any connection to the sea, Nathan. I have a glass inkwell sans lid in the same shape. Just hard to tip over. Boots' mark has been found on all sorts of desk and vanity items (did you get the mark ID from silvermakersmarks.co.uk ?)

Asian Fever and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Nathan Lindop

I did use that website yeh, confirmed it with some others. Yeh the boots connection to mostly desk and vanity items would fix me to it not being anything to do with the sea.

Never heard of ‘Glatt Iris’, another term under my belt haha.

Christmasjoy and desperate_fun like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Boots sold trinkets - and also ran lending libraries. So, I think your wee inkwell was made to be sold in one of their shops. It would not have been made by them, they were the sponsor.

Here's one of my wee things they sold: plated rather than silver. U27A.jpg U27B.jpg

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Nathan Lindop

Cool, oh yeh I get you. I know boots where no silversmiths haha. Thanks for claryfying on here though

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted