Featured Unusual Coral Tone Necklace on Gold Thread

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Now that I'm back in the US, I don't come across the same fun finds that I did in Germany, but every now and then I find something interesting. I picked up this necklace a few days ago. It isn't coral; the beads have a slight texture and crazing to them that makes me think they're some kind of plastic or resin. No seams. Doesn't glow under blacklight. Interestingly, it is strung on a woven thread core, and the clasp appears gold-filled. I'd love to get your thoughts.
    IMG_7428.JPG IMG_7425 (2).JPG

BMRT, KSW, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Interesting, Barn. Could they be wood, and the colouring with the slight texture and crazing some kind of lacquer? Just guessing.:)

3. Barn Owl

That's an interesting theory! :) I'll examine the thread holes with my loupe to see if I can see a different color core.

4. Barn Owl

I looked at it under a loupe. The color is the same inside. Same texture. Looks like the beads are whole pieces.

Any Jewelry, KSW and i need help like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What does the clasp look like?

KSW, i need help and Barn Owl like this.
  6. Barn Owl

Sorry, I realized that I didn't have a good photo of the clasp:
    IMG_7429.JPG

KSW likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Looks like a newer toggle clasp, not 100% sure, could have been restrung.

First thought was some kind of wood as well, but if the same color inside a bit of a mystery. These are unusual for sure.

Kind of drawing a blank here. Maybe someone else will have thoughts.

Any Jewelry, KSW and Barn Owl like this.
  8. Barn Owl

For some reason, I feel like the clasp has some age to it. It has that rose-gold tone I'm used to seeing on older jewelry, and it's quite small... It's a strange necklace. I've never seen this kind of gold thread used before.

KSW likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have something similar.
    My thoughts are that it is some type of early plastic made to imitate amber.
    I've always thought the cracking and crazing came from them being exposed to heat.

KSW and Barn Owl like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Maybe someone here can address that. It does look a bit more stylized than the current toggle clasps. Anyone know if toggle clasps have been around for a bit?

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like it's strung on that metallic cord people like me use to wrap presents because we're inept with ribbon bows. The toggle clasp does not look particularly old to me, but this does not necessarily mean anything about the age of the beads.

12. abdel

abdel Well-Known Member

Sure it's not a real coral bead

Bronwen, KSW and Barn Owl like this.
  13. Barn Owl

I don't think so. The texture doesn't look right to me, and there's crazing.

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Although toggle clasps are just about the earliest type of necklace clasp, they went out of favour for quite some time but made a comeback in the 70s. I find them impossible to work with.
    Rose and pink gold started to become more popular ca 10 yrs ago. I like the warm colour of rose and pink gold, and you're right, it has that link with antique jewellery.:)

KSW, Barn Owl and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted