Unusual Crown Derby "Japan" Lidded Urn

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi there,

I saw this the other day, I love it but I can't for the life of me track a similar one down. The angular handles are the odd part for me.

Maybe somebody has seen this before? It's date is around 1900 maybe a little afterwards.

Screenshot_20190817_214604.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

We do have some experts on oriental pieces, but please be patient, it's the weekend. Your photo is good, thanks, I know they will like to see what the bottom looks like too..

Is that lidded?

3. Nathan Lindop

They aren't my pictures it's up for sale online. I'll grab a few more of their photos though. Its English porcelain, the style of imari with the characteristic green additions is often called Japan imari. I'm not an expert but you pick up a term or two now and then haha, probably using it wrong half the time.

4. Nathan Lindop

Dates to 1904 and is 20cm tall. They didn't give many details, then again the picture does most of the talking.

It is lidded the seller has said. I might buy it, it's something I've never seen.

Screenshot_20190817_220317.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

In all probability it was part of a set. Might have accompanied a similarly themed clock, or been part of a set of vases (urns?) in graduated sizes.

Don't know if it would yield any results, but you might search Crown Derby parure. (Generally parure is a jewelry term, but I have seen it applied to this type of set of vases.)

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Is there a question in there somewhere?

9. Nathan Lindop

"maybe someone has seen this before?" was my question. I wanted to find a little more about it. The shape is unusual to me. Garniture searches and parure are seeming fruitless.

It'll go in my mystery vault for the future haha it'll be worth worth asking the Derby porcelain society they've been really helpful before

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. Nathan Lindop

Haha! I saw that, that's the reason I'm so wary here. $1500 dollars is a scary amount so I had to ignore that one.

That's the only true twin handle lidded imari urn I've seen and it is a stunner

Draft saved Draft deleted