Unusual Drinking Glasses

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Eric Haefli, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

2307.1 German Glass Goblet & Glass.JPG 2307.2 German Glass Goblet & Glass.JPG 2307.3 German Glass Goblet & Glass.JPG 2307.4 German Glass Goblet & Glass.JPG Has anyone seen drinking glasses like these? They come from my great aunt's house. She died a few decades ago and we are baffled as to what to call them and if they could be from 1795, which is a number written on them.

Here is how I describe them: 5 3/4" High German Handblown Glass Goblet with Wood Base; "Alles mit Lust" translated to "Everything you want"; 4 1/2" High German Handblown Glass; "An gottes fegen ist alles gelegen" translated to "Everything is in order for God's sweep"; both dated 1795

NewEngland likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

An Gottes Segen
    ist alles gelegen.
    Psalm 127
    meaning that everything you do needs the blessing of God to succeed.

to say anything about age is hard with these pictures. the left one could be a Schnapsglas from the Alps.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and sabre123 like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect these are later copies, mid to late 19th. Nice ones.

4. Eric Haefli

Thank you. This is very helpful.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I've never seen a wooden base on a wine glass before. After-market anti-tipping device, perhaps?

KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've seen a glass with a broken foot given a wooden replacement.

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

bercrystal, Fid, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

9. Eric Haefli

You should quick patent the "built-in coaster" idea!!! You'll make a fortune.

Fid and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted