Featured Unusual Hardware

Discussion in 'Tools' started by lptools, Sep 18, 2019.

1. lptools

lptools Member

IMG_3014.JPG IMG_3015.JPG IMG_3017.JPG IMG_3018.JPG

Hello,All. This is my first post!!! I am looking for info on this piece of hardware. It appears to be nickel plated brass, and I am guessing it was meant to be clamped onto something. I attached it to a piece of 1/4" x 1" oak for reference, I am guessing would work on something a little thicker, or much thinner. This is as I found it , I don't know if it is missing pieces. Thanks, Lou

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Welcome @lptools :)

No marks at all? Is that round tube fixed, or does it rotate?

i need help and Michael77 like this.
  3. lptools

lptools Member

Hello, No visible markings. Round tube/bar is fixed. I actually have 2 of these, wear marks in the same spots on both tubes/rods.

4. scoutshouse

Seems like it should be anchored to something so the magic can happen between the clamped item and the rod :)

Where did you find it?

5. lptools

lptools Member

At a random garage sale , I was picking through the tools , and found them. The woman that I bought them from had no idea what they were , or where they came from. My own thoughts were for maybe attaching to the bottom edge of a steel lavatory sink, or something from a barber shop? Possibly nautical? I even looked up old wooden toilet seat hardware (missing parts), but no luck!!! I thought the wear marks might be a clue, some sort of foot pedal?

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like part of a musical instrument, clarinet maybe.

Michael77 and i need help like this.
  7. scoutshouse

:)

Portable towel bar...?

8. lptools

lptools Member

Yes, that is what I was thinking, portable, mount anywhere towel bar. Brownen I am guessing it is too heavy/hefty for a clarinet. I am not a musician, the only thing I can play is the radio:)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe it attaches to a porcelain sink?

Michael77 likes this.
  10. Greg D

Greg D New Member

Could it be part of an old wringer washing machine?

11. Steersman

Steersman Well-Known Member

Nickel on brass is often found on old plumbing fixtures (modern ones too.) Toilet stool lid hinges?

Jivvy, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  12. lptools

lptools Member

Hello,All of your suggestions are great, looks like we will figure this out soon. I agree that the plating could have been there for corrosion resistance, but I won't rule out the plating being cosmetic!!! Step pedal for a trash bin?? My dad worked for Easy Washer back in the fifties, I will have him take a look.

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Toilet seat hinge?

Michael77 likes this.
  14. lptools

lptools Member

No attachment points to the bowl.

Michael77 likes this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I thought this might have been the part attached to the seat and the bowl hinge elements attached to the bar? just guessing though!:rolleyes:

I just googled "antique toilet seat" and I think it just might be part of the setup- the horseshoe and cover mount for instance. Sure looks like it could be.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Michael77 likes this.
  16. lptools

lptools Member

Hello, If you look back at the fifth post, I had already suggested "toilet seat hardware, missing parts". I looked around at a few restoration hardware catalogs, and other sites, but could not find a match. Also, the threaded studs that would hold the bracket to the tank ,would have been cast as part of the bracket. I'm not saying it isn't, just waiting for a photo to prove it is. Thanks, Lou

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Jivvy and Michael77 like this.
  17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I looked too when you first mentioned it.

IMO, close but no cigar.

18. lptools

lptools Member

Hello, Jivvy. Thanks for the reply, Lou

Draft saved Draft deleted