Featured Unusual moss agate ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Sep 25, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No history to this other than it had mud in the back so
    maybe found by a metal detector but I’m just guessing.
    A few questions please-
    Does that look like a very worn coat of arms or some sort of heraldry surround?
    Is that moss agate? An article I found it said that Moss Agate isn’t a true form of agate because it doesn’t have concentric banding but this stone looks like it does :confused:
    Mind you I’ve only just learned that moss agate doesn’t actually contain organic material :bookworm::banghead:
    The band seems to be formed from silver folded so there is a seam along its inner length as in the last photo. Does this method of construction date it at all? I’ve googled but I need better search terms!
    Thankyou for any help :)
    IMG_2244.jpeg IMG_2243.jpeg IMG_2242.jpeg IMG_2242.jpeg IMG_2241.jpeg IMG_2240.jpeg IMG_2239.jpeg

Figtree3, johnnycb09, stracci and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Does look inspired by heraldic jewellery, but that is probably a coincidence. Looks Brutalist.
    :rolleyes::banghead:
    Moss agate and dendritic agate don't have banding, but they are still agate.
    Yours looks more dendritic to me.
    :playful: Dendritic agate is named after the tree-like structures in the stone, but it doesn't have trees inside.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mix of moss and banded to my eye.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Are you sure?
    **slinks off in disappointment **

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I hate when I have to burst someone's bubble, especially when it is a tree bubble. :oops::sorry::kiss:

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  6. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Dendritic agates have no real trees in them. Darnitt. The critter at the top keeps looking at me like it's a rabbit. :cat::cat::cat::cat: Maybe it's the feline in my training but I'm wondering if this wasn't a bunny ring that got the cwap whaled out of it somehow.

Dessert58 and silverbell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted