Unusual Porcelain Mark blue square concentric triangles/arrows

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi everyone,

Im a bit puzzled by this, it came in a big mixed lot, I love the old staple repair dead straight through the mark haha. But I cant find out what it is for. The closest I've found is a forum on Chinese porcelain referring to something called a shop mark which they don't explain. The forum had the same mark but clearly in a different context. This plate does look distinctly European and I am based in England after all.

Can anybody help me out? :)

IMG_20190923_210801.jpg IMG_20190923_210814.jpg

Christmasjoy and Marzena like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've come across that mark somewhere. Maybe Worcester?

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yup, you've got yourself a nice piece of old (18thc) Worcester - mark is an imitation of a Chinese mark BTW

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They meant chop not shop.

Yes, a pseudo mark, as they're known. A fair few British factories did this, including Worcester. 1755 to 1770, yours.

Flowers on that central plaque are auriculas, which is rather nice. Lovely painting, and someone loved it with those staple repairs.

kentworld, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. Nathan Lindop

Sorry about not replying. I thought there were no replies. I'm glad I checked!

Brilliant! I can't believe its worcester, and so early! I bought the box for a cheap flow blue plate that I loved :hilarious: I didn't expect a little hidden gem. I think they're desirable even with this damage.

I'm tempted to keep it with the cool pseudo mark, I've heard of these but never seen one.
    The beautiful staples I love too.

Also may I ask what a chop mark is? I can find any info online

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's BEAUTIFUL .. Love it !! ... Joy. :):):)

i need help likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

What? Google "chop mark".

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I have a piece of Chelsea with a pseudo Chinese mark ..very cool thing to own, your Worcester piece is quite lovely, maybe you should keep it!!:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A chop mark is basically a signature.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Oriental signatures on artworks were accompanied very often by stamped marks - in painting, we see these stamped marks as small red rectangles or circles. The stamp is a carved device, often stone, known in the west as a "chop". These "chops" can be quite elaborately carved themselves.

Western artists, emulating or in admiration of oriental art, sometimes have personal logos or devices cast/carved and stamp their work in similar fashion.

You see a lot of "chop marks" used on modern era studio pottery in lieu of a written signature.

Here is a basic carved "chop"

chop.jpg

11. Nathan Lindop

Beautiful answer blooey! Like a Wikipedia article! Perfect and clear haha. Glad I could learn a little again

blooey and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted