Featured Unusual Pressed Glass Pink Bowl - Anyone Recognize?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 12, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I can't wait to find out about this small bowl (5.5 inches in diameter and 2.14 inches tall). At first, I thought was art glass, as the top and ribs are uneven and there are wavy lines of pale pink with varying intensity in it. But it does not seem to have a pontil scar but rather a pressed design in the bottom. I was thinking from a previous era unknown to me. (Which could be anytime, actually.)

It is very lightweight. I can't find a mark either inside or out. I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone know? The pink didn't show up well, so I made it brighter in the first photo.
    IMG_7466 (1).JPG IMG_7460.JPG IMG_7461 (1).JPG IMG_7462.JPG IMG_7468.JPG IMG_7463 (1).JPG IMG_7464 (1).JPG IMG_7465 (1).JPG
    IMG_7467 (1).JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Google on Lavorazione Arte Murano. It's a label found often on glass like this: not made on Murano, but in the style of, usually by Empoli factories.

judy, Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Ohhhh. How exciting. I'm off to look now!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

I see what you mean. That same drizzly color and varied tops. Thank you. It will go into the case!

judy, Ownedbybear and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@KikoBlueEyes, Your last image ALMOST looks like a 'signature profile'.....it shows clearly in your very first image as well!!!!

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I see what you mean. I'll do some research.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Just an illusion caused by the pink streaks. See different views of bottom - inside and out. No etching.

thumbnail_IMG_7470.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7471.jpg

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Aquitaine

@Kiko, without turning the orientation of your bowl from the FIRST image, at about 1:00 o'clock, I saw some initials.....enlarged 2.5X, Just below & have no idea what they might mean:​

LETTERS-KIKOS-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_50x.png

ALSO, enhanced & turned "her" straight up & down: NOT sure 'she' means anything though....hope so, for you!!!

KIKO FACE IN BOWL.jpg

judy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

And I JUST saw your post, a second AFTER I posted!!! Oh well, it was a thought!!! Maybe the letters I saw might mean something????​

judy, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's beautiful!!!

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Here the inside better. I'll search for the letters

thumbnail_IMG_7473.jpg

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Yes I was shocked seeing it sit there all alone with a $4 price tag. Thank you.

judy, Aquitaine and stracci like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

You are wonderful for trying, but the letters are light artifacts caused by the ribs of the bowl being reshaped in the decorative process. Apparently, the artist bent and stretched the ribs perhaps to get the ribbons of colors to vary. This is a guess, because although I have seen several glass blowing exhibitions at various glass museums, I don't know anything about how this was made. It's just the way the sunlight hit the bowl when I was taking its picture. Thank you for taking the time to resize and search to help me. I really appreciate it.

judy, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  14. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

What a pretty thing! It looks as if its true home is somewhere under the sea, undulating about with the other creatures...

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

You're right!!!!!!!!!!!! It does look like a shell! I didn't see it until you mentioned it, but it is just the right size. Thank you.

16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

17. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. They get some great things at this shop.

Bakersgma likes this.
  18. bosko69

It's amazing to see that such shops still exist-glory be to ignorance.We should start a movement-all shops should institute one '1974 Day' a year where they're legally mandated to turn back prices (for even 1 hour) once a year.Of course the downside-there would must assuredly be some fatalities.

19. KikoBlueEyes

They are a small American Cancer Society shop in an area where rents are super high. They price things to move. They often have sales and coupons. I learned here how to spot the better stuff. This is my strategy. I want to be @anundverkaufen

Bakersgma and silverbell like this.
  20. bosko69

One of the best shops I ever picked (sad but glad to say) was a Home Hospice Shop.A broad generalization,but perhaps the shops with the more compassionate,caring volunteers price things more reasonably as opposed to those 'big box' corporate Walmart-type Thrifts.Now there-You see,I didn't say one mean thing about my local Goodwill.

Bakersgma and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted