Unusual Royal Worcester. I'm stumped. Please help.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Johnno42000, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Johnno42000

Johnno42000 New Member

Hi,

I recently purchased this at auction and cannot find out much about it apart that it is Royal Worcester.

I am still waiting for it to be delivered but could it be a partially finished urn?

Thanks

John rw2.jpg rw1.jpg rw3.jpg

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Nice, from their Persian range. It wouldn't have the gilt if it wasn't finished, so it's probably just a subtle design unless someone added it afterwards which seems unlikely form the pics. I used to sell quite a lot of Worcester, although not so much in the last 10 years, I still see lots of items I've never seen before (this is another).

There should be some dots either side of the crown mark which will give a year of production when you get it. Most in this body style are late 19th, but they did use moulds over extended periods.

1684 is the body shape (made in 3 sizes), first made in 1893, it originally had a lid but you rarely find them with it these days.

3. Johnno42000

Johnno42000 New Member

That's brilliant. Thank you so much for your help, kind regards John

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Is there any possibility that someone tried to remove the original decoration or that it just wore off? The decoration looks like a smudge.

Draft saved Draft deleted