Unusual spoon

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Stephen Lang, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Stephen Lang

Stephen Lang Member

sketch-1630770236490-01.jpeg Can you help to solve why this spoon has 2 makers marks. It is clearly gifted to someone as hand engraved marks show but first maker fits with its Exeter marks, but can't find anything on T. Ellis as marked also??

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Retailer.

Ellis was a notable in Exeter:

https://www.chapel-antiques.co.uk/antiquesilver

And here:

By the beginning of the 19th century the decline of Exeter’s economy had reduced demand for silverware. Competition from the industrial firms of Birmingham, Sheffield and London also forced many West Country goldsmiths out of business. Henry Ellis (d.1871) was one of the few Exeter goldsmiths to thrive during this period. In 1814 he opened his first shop in the High Street. A watchmaker by trade, Ellis retailed goods made locally and in Birmingham and London. In 1847 his eldest son, Henry Samuel, registered the firm’s design for ‘Patent Safety Chain Brooches’, some of which were made from silver mined at Comb Martin on Exmoor. After the purchase of five brooches by Queen Victoria, Ellis & Son were appointed silversmiths in ordinary to the Queen in 1848 and exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851.

That's from https://rammuseum.org.uk/collections/decorative-arts/

It's quite common to get a retailer stamp on better silver in the nineteenth century.

komokwa, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  3. Stephen Lang

Stephen Lang Member

This spoon does clearly have the mark for T.Ellis rather than Henry? Why would that be?

Draft saved Draft deleted