Unusual Tool???

Discussion in 'Tools' started by lptools, Nov 11, 2019.

1. lptools

lptools Member

IMG_3576.JPG IMG_3539.JPG Hello, I am not sure what these are. All are stamped "left hand thread" ( which I believe is the coarse thread showing). On the left end is an 1/8" diameter spline shaft. The right ends have knurling parallel to the length of the tool. The nut on the left end unscrews, but has given me no clue. Turning the the small knurled piece on the right end turns the splined shaft in an arc ( does not rotate) . Overall length is approx. 7" They are stamped 0-20, 0-50, 0-200 and 0-300. Thanks for any help, Lou

Michael77 likes this.
  2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Hi Lou,
    Can you provide close ups of the end? I'm guessing some sort of calibration tool? Any mfg. name?

3. lptools

lptools Member

IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3581.JPG Hello, No mfg.'s markings. I will try a close-up. Thanks, Lou

Michael77 likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Left Hand What?

Michael77 likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Looks pneumatic - that's all I got. But if you can use knurling and splined in a sentence, you're probably well on your way.

Figtree3, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  6. lptools

lptools Member

Thanks!! Hadn't thought pneumatic. The exposed threads in the center are left-hand. Lefty tighty, righty loosey!! (did I spell those correctly??)

Michael77 and scoutshouse like this.
  7. scoutshouse

Lefty loosey
    Right tighty

Michael77, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  8. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

its lefty lucy:wacky:

Michael77 likes this.
  9. lptools

lptools Member

Hello, Scouthouse. What you posted is the opposite of the thread configuration on this piece. Oxygen & acetylene regulators, for example; Oxygen has a right hand thread, acetylene has a left hand thread, so they cannot be connected incorrectly.

Fid and Michael77 like this.
  10. scoutshouse

Michael77 and Bakersgma like this.
  11. lptools

lptools Member

Hello, Thanks for the reply. Pneumatic fittings are usually a Right Hand Pipe Thread. "Oxygen and Acetylene regulators connect differently to their cylinders so they can not be mixed up. Oxygen regulators have right-hand threads and regulators for Acetylene and other fuel gases have left-hand threads" . Left hand threads are also common on table saw arbors. All of this applies to here in the states, may be different in Canada, or overseas.

scoutshouse and Michael77 like this.
  12. Michael77

In my nic of the woods we would say, standard thread "tighten clock wise", reverse thread "tighten counter clock wise". How did you acquire these interesting tools if I might ask?

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. lptools

lptools Member

Hello, Michael.I found them at a sale. They appeared to be well made, and I thought that maybe I, or with help from others , could figure this out. A lot of time , effort, and precision machining went into making these, so I didn't want to leave them in a dark, damp basement to rust away. Having said that, I just checked these with a magnet (should have done this before) and they are non-magnetic. So, I am guessing plated brass, or, stainless steel. I will bring these to work tomorrow to one of our machinists. Thanks, Lou

Michael77 likes this.
  14. Michael77

Please let us know, I'm sure we'd all like to see the mystery solved.

15. scoutshouse

If it was pneumatic, I would have guessed some kind of finishing/abrading tool attachment.

Acetylene, no clue, really.

@Hollyblue might have seen such a dealeo.

Michael77 likes this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Michael77 likes this.
  17. lptools

lptools Member

I only mentioned acetylene to explain the differences in the thread types. Also, water valve stems often have a left-hand thread on the stems. I also doubt this is anything pneumatic, there are no seals for air flow/pressure. One suggestion at work was a gage of sorts, that is why the ranges are stamped. Another suggestion was automotive. Thanks for all the replies so far!!!!

Michael77 likes this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Asked my local machinist’s club, maybe they’ll figger ‘em out. All I can guess now is that these are interchangeable middle-sections of a special-purpose gauge set.

Figtree3 and Michael77 like this.
  19. lptools

lptools Member

I brought these in to work, still no definite answer. All of the small spline ends are the same diameter .108. The shafts that go through the body are different diameters, and offer a different level of resistance when you rotate the knob on the right end. Also noticed were the differences in the size of the end fittings , corresponding increase in diameter in relation to the ranges that are stamped on the body. The first photo shows the differences in the ends. If you look closely at the second photo, ( squinting may be required) you may see the difference in the shaft diameters.

Attached Files:

Michael77 likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Any help from your machinist's club?

Interesting discussion -- about which I know nothing!

Draft saved Draft deleted