Featured Upcoming Auction...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Sep 19, 2018.

1. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Any chance this might be one of those situations discussed in another thread, wherein the contents of the house are augmented by 'stuff' from all kinds of sources?

2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I would wonder too, but this is one of the top auction houses in the area and I don't think they would put their reputation on the line. I went to their first auction about 10 years ago.
    Patd

antidiem, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

@Christmasjoy - nothing personal!

antidiem, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is this really an "auction?" Looks like a regular (although stuffed to the gills) estate sale to me.

antidiem, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have a sister, a niece & at various times 3 different sisers-in-law named Pat. :jawdrop::jawdrop:

We referred to them as "our Pat, little Pat (even after she was a grown woman a stood about 6' tall), Tom's Pat, Denny's Pat & Jack's Pat". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I agree, it has to be a sale. No auctioneer in their right mind would try to auction off this much stuff crammed into such a small area, unless they were selling everything in bulk.

pearlsnblume, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. scoutshouse

Sometimes estate sellers do salt sales with their own things, but not in an estate this large. No need.

The radios are rad, and there are some interesting vintage finds, but sellers buy out the money makers at the end of sales, not the dated furniture, housewares and clothes.

That stuff is really hard to sell!

pearlsnblume, antidiem, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Talk about quantity over quality! Not my cup of tea. I think a lot of the auctioneers in my area would pass on this estate. Not enough high dollar items to make it worthwhile.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  9. scoutshouse

A ton of labor setting it up and running it for four days - don't forget closing it out. $+$

10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

6 months ago I was at an auction at a hoarders residence. Tons of stuff piled up everywhere. The auctioneer cherry-picked the quality items and had them on tables outside to be sold individually and then offered the rest of the home by the room. I think the process was very efficient and since bidders could make request for things to be brought out and sold by the piece, I think everyone ended up happy.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LOL Guess I'd fit right in! :)

12. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

I once attended a single household estate auction that was 7 straight days. The first 5 days were sit-down off site, with the final 2 being on site. I remember buying about 40-50 lots per day.

13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

You are only a hoarder when you don't have any space left to show your precious items. ;)

pearlsnblume, antidiem, Pat P and 4 others like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AuDragon,
    I used to say if you could see a couple of inches of floor you were a collector. No see floor you are a hoarder.
    greg

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

What are you if you've kept and only very slowly parted with items inherited from your collector/hoarder parent? :rolleyes:

pearlsnblume, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Slow.(LOL)

antidiem, judy, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

A hoarder once removed?

18. scoutshouse

@Pat P

I think hoards are what you rescue, acquire, collect or claim, then protect or secrete for future use, profit or advantage

Not your parent's stuff :)

That's sentimental, a labor of love

pearlsnblume, antidiem and judy like this.
  19. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Yep, this is an estate sale but the company usually does high end auctions. No idea why they took this one on - maybe a relative or friend.
    Patd

pearlsnblume, antidiem and judy like this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Evelyb30 and SB, LOL! Love both of your replies! :joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted