Featured Upcoming Auction...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Smiling at this... definitely a labor of love. My mother loved her things and I try to be respectful of them and her memory. For a long time I felt quilty about selling any of it, but am mostly past that now.

Of course, if I'd sold them shortly after inheriting them in 2000, most of her things would have been a lot more popular and sold for a lot more. Water under the bridge now, though....

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

When I was helping a friend get her parents house cleaned out I quickly realized she was just not ready to part with some things, but was having a hard time accepting the fact herself. If she even hesitated for a moment it went into her keep pile. She is divorced so it is just her & the dog in a 3 bedroom 2,000 sq. ft. house with a 2 car garage. I kept telling her she could take home as much as she wanted & no one would say anything.

I do hope someone will be around to help her clear out that house & garage when she decides to downsize because she took me at my word. Most of it is in the garage & she can still only get her 1 little car in there. I keep gently working at it with her & got her to take a load to the auction house a few weeks ago.

I also told her that the money she got from the things she did decide to sell could be used to buy herself something she needed or wanted & in all essence it was from her parents. It is hard not to feel guilty, but you can't love everything someone else had no matter who they were. Another friend sold stuff from various relatives & bought herself a nice curio cabinet that she could display the things she did keep, which was much more productive than having stacks of boxes in her garage.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I did keep one of my dad's standard-gauge engines. It's one that doesn't work and hadn't for years before he died - it's just plain worn out. It's the one I can remember in his hands, with him working on it and working on it trying to get it going. Mom couldn't unload the rest fast enough.(LOL)

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I can empathize with both your friend and you. There are so many feelings involved... some conflicting... that decisions are hard.

For me, doing nothing for a long time helped quiet those feelings, but I know I need to tackle both the feelings and the tasks now. I'd rather feel good about selling these items to people who will appreciate them than have them taking up both living and storage space here.

I like the idea of parts of my parents' lives giving us more financial security, too.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Part of my inheritance are wonderful illustrated antiquarian books that my artist mother collected. I like to think of how much she must have loved looking through them.

Ditto on some quirky, hand-made items that I know my dad must have picked up when he went antiquing with my mother and print items from when he was in WWII.

I don't remember literally seeing them with these things, but I can see it in my mind's eye and it gives me a nice warm feeling.

6. evelyb30

The WWII materials would easily go to a good home; I know a ton of addicts ... collectors ... hoarders ... pick one, who love that material.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And I wish him the BEST of LUCK in doing just that!!!! He will be SO enLIGHTENED when done!!!!!:rolleyes::smuggrin:

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

YIKES!!!!!

scoutshouse and Pat P like this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Cool... I need to start scanning and listing them.

pearlsnblume and scoutshouse like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I always feel bad when I see so much milk glass being offered at sales after a life time of collecting.

I went to an estate sale recently and they had a huge dining room table filled with milk glass... all white milk glass. Most was hobnail.
    No one was buying much of it. I think the lady who owned it and was present in the house during the sale was mystified that no one wanted any.

antidiem and Pat P like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I feel that way about milk glass, too. Some pieces are really pretty, especially if there's any opalescence.

I have the same situation with a huge chunk of my mother's glass collection. She loved amber daisy and button, and I have all sorts of pieces of it. It's selling a little better on eBay than 10 or 15 years ago, but still looks like a slow sale. I've never tried selling any of it, but probably will start listing pieces in the next few months.

antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. evelyb30

I've seen it at estate sales, in charity thrifts etc, and it's a slow mover. Fenton has gone stone cold too. Thankfully I think I have one piece of it, and my daisy pieces are NFS regardless. They were my grandparents' wedding gifts in 1921.

antidiem, Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Evelyb, not sure if you were referring to milk glass or amber daisy and button?

With d&b, my understanding is that because it had been very popular lots of more contemporary copies were made, which diluted it's value. Plus I think it can be hard to tell which pieces are genuine EAPG and which are reproductions. I read that if the edges are sharper, it's an older piece, but I have no EAPG expertise, so don't know if that's always true.

antidiem likes this.
  14. evelyb30

I have a feeling we're not talking about the same stuff. I goofed - grandma's stuff was mostly cut glass with the classic daisy pattern. That's hard to move too.

antidiem and Pat P like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, I was referring to pressed glass with a daisy and button pattern.

Aquitaine and antidiem like this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have never understood why someone would want to be around at either an estate sale or an auction of their stuff or even their family's stuff. The auctioneer I work for will usually actively discourage family members from attending the auctions unless it is a case where the will stipulates that everything is to be sold at auction & if the relatives want something they have to be the winning bidder.

I would think it would be just too painful to see something that you or your parents treasured for years sold for very little because the right people weren't there or the item was no longer among the wanted items.

17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I helped to host an estate sale for a prominent family's mother and to avoid the day of sales, the auctioneer held a private sale for family members only, the night before. Thought this was a great idea. :cat:

Pat P likes this.
  18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The idea of family members having to bid against each other and/or strangers for their relative's items makes me feel sad. Doesn't it generate hard feelings sometimes?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Aquitaine and antidiem like this.
  19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Probably would, Pat. I wasn't family, so I did not attend the auction the night before. I was just there to help coordinate the event for a friend. The auctioneer made sure to get a good price for the one art nouveau lamp I'd have bought. Oh well..

Pat P likes this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

But then again, wills and inheritances seem to cause a lot of family discord, so I guess auctions could be a part of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted