Featured Using these "old" pieces as a test of age for myself!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all, as I mentioned in a previous Victorian/Edwardian bangle thread-I am trying to learn how to distinguish older (19th-early 20th century) jewelry from the eg. 1960s revival and repros stuff. I picked out these bits from my hoard in the hopes that at least one of the pieces are older. Can you help?! None are testing as gold (is that likely indicative that they are more modern?). They are all in need of a good clean! Thanks for your expertise as always :)

Image - 2021-08-09T152836.768.jpeg Image - 2021-08-09T152840.681.jpeg Image - 2021-08-09T152848.110.jpeg Image - 2021-08-09T152844.661.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think only the mesh bracelet is old, although I'm not sure if it's 1890s or 1930s.. The engraved bangle's hardware says 50s even though the outer design could be Victorian. The backs on the earrings were still in use last week and the dangle part is 50s at the oldest. The ring looks more 1980s or later than 1880s. The mesh one looks like a WWI-era watch fob.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Thanks for looking! I am slowly learning :hilarious:

4. evelyb30

Takes a while.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Definitely!!

pearlsnblume, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much with evelyb except I see a greater possibility that the hinged bangle is also an older piece. I see the resemblance of the mesh piece to some watch fobs but can't see how it would be used as one. The circumference when drawn to about where it is in the pix or a little larger would be informative.

7. evelyb30

I think it's a bracelet made like a fob. The clasp on the bangle looks like something out of the 50s, but I guess it could be older.

Bronwen, judy and Elen Beattie like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Does the ring have a maker's mark?A closeup photo of just the ring could help.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  9. Elen Beattie

Nope, nothing on the ring!

Bronwen and judy like this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The ring could have been made by a hobbyist/student,etc.The "engraved" bracelet is not engraved,it was made on a rolling machine. Is something a "repro",everything which is cast is a reproduction made from a model from which a mold is made.

Bronwen, Elen Beattie and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with evelyb on the mesh bracelet, and with Bronwen on the bangle.:)
    The ring is post-1960 imo, possibly even a few decades later.
    The earrings could be early 20th century Continental European, but could just as easily be 1940s. Even if they are antique, there is hardly any value in them, other than the sweetness factor.

Bronwen and Elen Beattie like this.
  12. Elen Beattie

Thanks as always everyone!

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted