Featured UV testing of amber - please help reading results

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Dec 17, 2022.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Sometime ago I posted a thread about an amber pendant I believed and knowledgable people here also suggested that it was real Baltic amber. Promised to post results when a UV test is done to it.
    Today I found a beaded necklace that also looked to me as real amber so I bought it and did the UV test. But as I am not sure if I can read correctly the test results, I decided to apply a more radical test. Fortunately a small chip fell while I was washing the necklace so I took it and set it on fire with a lighter. In some moments it caught fire and burnt with beautiful yellow flame and after putting the fire out, emitted a strong pine tree or incense odour. I repeated it in front of my husband and he confirmed the odour. So I am now ultimately sure that at least the necklace is genuine Baltic amber :joyful: The pendant will have to go without the burning test, for obvious reasons :joyful::joyful::joyful:
    Below I post the UV test images. Would appreciated any help in reading the results - do I correctly read them as showing real amber?

Thank you for watching!
    Amber necklace2.jpg Amber necklace1.jpg amber pendant UV.jpg amber pendant UV1.jpg

KSW, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great work. That's what I look for. If it was not amber or other type of things that fluoresce under UV light then it would reflect the purple light back.

Dessert58, kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Both are good. The chip necklace is pretty typical of more modern pieces. I think the pendant may be reconstituted, but it's still amber.

4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, KikoBlueEyes and Ownedbybear! Your help is very much appreciated!

I also think that the pendant is reconstituted after heaving read about different types of real amber and how to differentiate them. It was in Russian, though, they differentiate three types: 1) melted=reconstituted, 2) pressed=formed and 3) made of a whole piece. It is my free translation, if Nathalie happens to see this thread, she may help with the terms.

About the nugget necklace I cannot decide, I will post tomorrow at daylight more close photos of its beads. It does not look reconstituted but I cannot decide if pressed or whole-piece.

KSW, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

I think your chip one is probably natural, they usually are.

6. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ownedbybear! It seems logical as with nuggets they don't have to waste material to make certain shapes (round, elongated or other), they can just get the pieces, do little polishing and voila, it is ready. The reason to press amber is to save material, according to what I read.
    Seen under a loupe, the chips have bubbles and various parts of seemingly organic matter inside.
    P.S. What do you mean by "more modern", it looks to me USSR made, maybe 1980s.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    KSW and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is modern to us.:playful:

Dessert58, KSW and IvaPan like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Yup, 80s is modern! I bought a chip necklace like that near the Brandenberg Gate in 1990.

KSW and IvaPan like this.
  9. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Here is another test result, of a brooch which looks also made of amber material but if so, it must be reconstituted. I posted it before, too. Does it you look to you as amber? Thank you!
    Amber brooch UV3.jpg

Amber brooch UV1.jpg
    Amber brooch UV2.jpg

Sorry to bother you, I am not at all confident, because of lack of experience.

KSW likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I still see a flower in resin.:sorry:

Dessert58, komokwa, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any and Ownedbybear! I just wanted to be sure that there is no mismatch in terminology. For instance, if it looks to you from 2020s, I saw on eBay that some guys from a Baltic state offer newly produced Baltic amber.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you! Good to know the difference in UV images.

From all amber-like items that I have, these are the only pieces that looked at least somehow suspicious under the UV light, the rest could not be seen at all. I tried all of them :)

P.S. Disclaimer: I am in no way disappointed in any results, this is a learning experience for me, I only want to know how to read properly the UV images. So I really appreciate your kind help!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I have an amber chip necklace very similar to yours.This is the UV result in mine.
    600E4046-4ABB-48D8-A100-43559DF29897.jpeg 47EBD39B-5287-4F73-AB08-7A4760650EDC.jpeg F6C092A2-0DED-408D-91AD-533E8B0A9F90.jpeg

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@IvaPan ....please remember that this is basically a site for Antiques....BUT....more recently it seems that a greater number of more recent items are showing up here.

It looks like we have become more of a general information site...... but something from 40 years ago...is still modern , to us ! :happy::happy::happy::happy::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

So, don't worry about it !! :)

Any Jewelry, Dessert58 and IvaPan like this.
  15. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, KSW, very kind of you!

Komo, sure you are right, I take note of what you said :)

KSW and komokwa like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Amber is millions of years old, so it fits right in regardless.

17. Any Jewelry

Very nice and chunky, and I like that rough surface.

KikoBlueEyes, KSW and IvaPan like this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Me too! Indeed a very beautiful piece.

Any Jewelry, KikoBlueEyes and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted