Value of a New Wharf Flow Blue Platter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mrmonline, Mar 4, 2022.

1. mrmonline

mrmonline New Member

We received this beautiful 14” New Wharf Flow Blue platter in the pattern “Geneva.”
    I have only found a few pieces in this pattern that have been valued.
    Is there anyone who may be able to help me determine a price?
    Thank you in advance :) 0782A13E-A705-4DBB-B4D1-21C43462EBCE.jpg 78C86B48-EA22-46DE-A361-CD52CA6AF2BF.jpg

cxgirl and stracci like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was made somewhere between 1890 and 1894. Maker is New Wharf Pottery (later Wood & Sons).
    http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/772a.htm

The England mark shows up thanks to USA tarriff laws circa 1890, although some factories put it on even earlier. The New Wharf mark stops in 1894 so the date on this is pretty well narrowed down. No idea what it sells for now though; flow blue hit a rough patch for a while and values were in the tank.

Figtree3, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  3. mrmonline

mrmonline New Member

Thank you much.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Lucille.b, mrmonline and 3 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh, Ber.......

"
    My name is Phoenix and I do online sales for a non profit thrift store.
    It is my job to identify and value unique, quality, and/or antique items.

in Montana..
    :rolleyes:
    '

mrmonline likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Komo do you find non-profits a problem? They often do good work. They aren't all bad:) a few bad apples as they say.

Lucille.b, bercrystal and mrmonline like this.
  7. mrmonline

mrmonline New Member

I should hope not. Considering all of our profits go to the homeless shelter.

Lucille.b and bercrystal like this.
  8. komokwa

SIS.....do u have a problem with me ?? :confused:

I have no idea what yer talking about or why u would ask me a personal question, in such a negative manner..........:(:(

I was just providing answers to Ber's question...

Ber had obviously not seen MRM's intro page..... thus, welcoming them and not knowing where they are or what they do !!!

I cut & pasted from the intro Phoenix posted.... no more no less...

I checked out MRM before posting......and have never had a problem with folks helping other struggling folks , to improve their lot....

BoudiccaJones and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh goodness no komo, you're the best! I think it was the "rolls eyes" after telling what they do that made me wonder if you were saying something different , so I asked.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    komokwa likes this.
  10. bercrystal

I have already stated before that I never look at the intro page & am not likely to start.

Therefore when a new member posts I always try to welcome them to the forum if I post a reply to their inquiry. Just trying to be friendly.

I simply was trying to give some additional information - no more no less.

cxgirl, Lucille.b and say_it_slowly like this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Since komo didn't attribute the quote, nobody knew what they were talking about.

Lucille.b and bercrystal like this.
  12. bercrystal

I knew what he was talking about as he has commented before about me welcoming new members on regular threads.

He also has a real problem that so many people "just want to know how much their stuff is worth" & "they never come back again" & "there is just this little group that post regularly".

As I said above I was just trying to add some additional information that took me less than 5 minutes to find - no more - no less.

Bakersgma and Lucille.b like this.
  13. komokwa

In my defence .....

rolling eyes.....cuz the avatar sez Montana rescue mission.....

Welcoming members on any post anywhere is just fine by me.....

( but , as others have pointed out it would really be nice, helpful and informative if new members had to cycle thru the Introductions Thread , for their 1st post, as most do not. )

There is a quote mark before my post...& while it's on the wrong line, I had expected folks here to know my name is not Phoenix , & I do not hale from Montana.

"He also has a real problem that so many people "just want to know how much their stuff is worth" & "they never come back again" & "there is just this little group that post regularly".......

No , it's not a real problem.....it's a burr in my sock....
    & I have not shown that to MRM , choosing to live and let live in this case.
    So, I'm unsure as to why u would dredge that up here..!

14. mrmonline

mrmonline New Member

I would like to ask why it’s a burr in your sock. As I am here not just to find the value, but also to learn for myself. Outside of my job I do have a love for antiques/oddities especially that of Asian origins and, as stated in another post, have an interest in archaeology. Yes this is a job, but it’s also a way for me to further my knowledge of items of the past.

Lucille.b, Bakersgma and cxgirl like this.
  15. komokwa

You asked........here's my answer..

I am not bothered by your love of antiques.....your quest to learn.....your interest in gaining knowledge ,,,,, that is why you're intro page is full of welcoming greetings !!!;);).:woot:

This is not a site for getting values on items. It never was. But what you don't see, that I do, is a large number of new posters.... only interested in what their items are worth.
    The fact that most of the items in question are not even antiques... I've learned to live with , but putting values on items hither & yon is fraught with so many problems, and we are not a band of expert appraisers .

In truth....I actually feel bad that I ...... we.....can't properly help those that come here struggling to find out if they have something they can sell to put food on the table.
    Times are tough..... but the more folks that land here with " what's the value of this"...... will be seen by even more folks that think this is the place where we'll tell them exactly how much their items are worth.......and they will be let down !

That's just not what this site is about !:meh:

That said ..... I hope I've answered your question in a non offensive manner and in a way that makes some kinda of sense. :)

ps.

( we have a Finds thread on this site......it is primarily about valuable items that our members have found at yard sales, ill wills, sally Anns.... estate sales.....and Thrift shops....... that were not valued properly , or not recognized as expensive , or silver marked as silver plate , or 14 K & 18 K gold jewelry that was found in the costume pile for $3.99 , or a 2 dollar tag slapped over the Tiffany mark...........)

I suggest you read that thread......every page......
    at the very least it will be an eye opener......at best , it will help you with pitfalls that can arise in your type of business !

Komo

BoudiccaJones and mrmonline like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum @mrmonline :)
    another good thread to have a look through is the 'great finishes' thread, (link below). It is about items we have picked up and they ended up selling for much more money than we expected. Believe me, there are some posts there that will make your jaw drop when you see the selling price:)
    Keep an eye out for tea cups and saucers, those are items that are likely to be donated and some sell for crazy high amounts of money:)
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/g...-discoveries-w-others.307/page-21#post-238307
    Komokwa, I can understand your frustration with drive-by posters just looking for value, maybe just scroll on by those threads. Someone asking for a non-profit and trying to learn is not the same (in my opinion), and we've had a few other posters doing the same.
    Keep posting stuff you aren't sure about @mrmonline, I love looking at stuff:)

17. komokwa

Komokwa sez...& I have not shown that to MRM , choosing to live and let live in this case.

I've said this........I have no problem with Someone asking for a non-profit and trying to learn...........

I have no issue with Montana......
    I'm even offering help as I see it, to further their knowledge ...of what's on the site !!

does it seem to you like I'm attacking them...in any way?????

please tell me? :eek::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome, MRM. I don't really know much about flow blue values but I can tell you how I do my own pricing research. eBay has a sold item function that provides value for items that have sold in the last few months. In this case I would enter "New Wharf flow blue platter" in the eBay search box. That should bring up current listings for New Wharf platters. On this page I can see what others are asking. Mind you a person can ask whatever price they want. The real information is in the sold listings. If you look down the column on the left hand side of the page you will see a box for sold items. You have to go a bit of the way down to find it. If you select that sold items box the page will automatically change to show you those New Wharf flow blue platters that have sold. You can then better gauge what you might ask.

Another source is a website called Live Auctioneers. Again, enter New Wharf flow blue platter in the search box. After that page comes up you will see current items up for auction. If you look on the left hand side on the top you will see the words "Price Results". Click on that and you will see items that have already sold. The Live Auctioneers site does require that you create a membership but it does not require a fee.

If I don't get any hits on my item I then broaden my search terms. In this case I might drop the words New Wharf and just search for flow blue platters. Please note that both eBay auctions and Live Auctioneers are nationwide (worldwide really) sites and may not reflect your local market.

I hope this is helpful.

Ownedbybear, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  19. mrmonline

mrmonline New Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but I am already aware of this method as it is my job to do so. Again thank you.

bercrystal and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted