Featured Valuing two 19th century, French etchings

Discussion in 'Art' started by James Kearny, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. mass-produced, probably in Asnière sur Seine where Goupil had a factory and workshops. made for the growing market of middle class buyers.
    the Berlin branch was opened in 1861 - which would be good.
    "New York Published by M. Knoedler" makes me think they were not bought in France.

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Oh, of course, (I was wrong for assuming, people would realize my intentions) I had found this one, and was wondering if this is the work recreated in the etching. Which of course could be wrong. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Best possibility I've seen.

I thought perhaps it was a common/known theme, but not as I've found. :bucktooth:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm sorry, that's inaccurate -- it should say "ONLY possibility I've seen."

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Jivvy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They seem to be large, which suggests that they were marketed as decorative pieces rather than illustrating a book or magazine. Given that each involves the same people, and the similarity of design, it's likely they were published simultaneously and meant to be paired.

Lepoittevin might have been commissioned by Goupil to produce these images specifically to be engraved, but it's all a lot of "possible" and "maybe".

Steel plate engravings don't get a much respect. In the majority of cases they are copies of paintings, published for the mass market of their day, before color printing became common. Poor man's art. I'm always impressed by the technical proficiency of the engravers and certainly have enough prints of this sort, but one of the reasons I have so many is because they are so inexpensive.

The Skinner sale price is not surprising (although I would have expected a bit more).

Jivvy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted